Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 38 users online. 3 members and 35 guests.

Most users ever online was 1,083 at 04:38 AM on 2016-11-18.

Design Philsophies and shit.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still working on this thing. Working out a lot of kinks and going over old code and such, but it's coming along. A lot of figuring things out and such still going on with it, but I am getting some fairly decent results. Right now the commands are just being hardcoded e.g level.inspect rather then using the player and console input as a controller. Easy enough to do, actually already done in my other version, but not imporant atm.

Progress none the less. Slow going, but that's because I have been busy and such.

tricxta likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken View Post
      Still working on this thing. Working out a lot of kinks and going over old code and such, but it's coming along. A lot of figuring things out and such still going on with it, but I am getting some fairly decent results. Right now the commands are just being hardcoded e.g level.inspect rather then using the player and console input as a controller. Easy enough to do, actually already done in my other version, but not imporant atm.

Progress none the less. Slow going, but that's because I have been busy and such.

No braces for single statement conditionals.. *gasp*

Comment

I'm a heretic I only do it in small blocks

Updated it a fair amount today. Nothing super noticeable really, but I setup look inside actions etc. Still working on it so you can look at hte contents of the object you are looking at. Thinking about storing a parent object when the player looks at an object and when you see the contents e.g Liquor you can now use look at liquor because it's in focus. The parent will be cleared when you inspect any other objects.

Also still deciding if I will keep exits inside of the main Entity list, with the other objects in the rooms.

tricxta likes this.

Comment

Made a bit of progress on this. Added in Entity Containers that are not the current level (e.g boxes, player) however as it stands right now it's a bit clunky because of the way I have done it - I can't have containers that hold containers, well functional containers. I'll go back at some point and fix this, but for now, I'm moving on.

I also quickly implemented pickup/take. Not quite finished, but a decent start.

I plan to work on adding in functionality for using objects within the rooms, that can interact in some form or another. Similar to how I've done exits, you use an exit and it calls the Receiver/players change level method.

All commands are still hard coded at the moment. No sense me moving on to input yet, especially when I am changing a lot of things.

Side note: I have no idea why I put a pantry in the Dining area, but whatever XD It's efficient, at the 'least, I suppose.

hosler likes this.

Comment

this is pretty damn cool

Comment

Originally posted by a friend
              so the way that it checks for the correct answer is to scan it for alphabetical order. so if its Baker, you just have to type something that has those letters come first. B then A than K then E than R, and you can apply any letters in between as long as it's not one of the other letters in the name coming before or after another letter in the name.
              So... You get crazy things like this.
              Dylan likes this.

Comment

Done some more work on this tonight. Refactored how I was retrieving entities, iterating over entities (well, the interface) moved all the code out of the abstract room class to it's own class. Added in the give and take functionality for the player. And I added in exits with locks, might possibly change it to be able to take multiple keys instead of one at some point.

How I am going to represent levels and entities in a text form is going to be somewhat interesting, but I have some good ground work laid out from earlier stuff. I also have a fair idea on how I am wanting to do it when I add in monsters / destructible objects and events, I will probably work on that. Long ways off.

Phew, my project folders getting huge lol

Last edited by Chicken; 2017-07-04, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Will you be able to place items from your 'inventory' in a room? Otherwise this is looking really cool.

Comment

It was one of the things I was planning I can't imagine it will be to hard with how I have it all setup.

Done a little bit today. Create a basic GUI look for it and implemented a bit of the "Out" interface so it could work on anything really. It's not properly implemented at the moment as I'm just throwing it straight into the player class and then the players outing to that window, through the interface, I will have a main game launcer type program that handles all that, skins, etc.

I also implemented a skin system for the window for the heck of it lol. I also done a bit of testing with exits, rooms etc.

Dylan likes this.

Comment

libzz is all stuff you wrote?
                      I don't want to sound like it's a negative thing but that's huge :O

Comment

As in the code / classes? Yes or do you mean the outputs? I wrote all the hardcoded inputs like player.useObjectByName("x", "y") and then the generic responses that come back. It's not like just a text adventure game e.g written from top to bottom, it's more an text adventure engine, with pieces.

Comment

I mean, all the interfaces, the .java files.

Comment

Gotcha. Yeh, I wrote all of those.

Updated: Added give functionality. Next up, changing how the doors/exits work. So, the player can unlock the door by giving it the key.

Still testing this and such.

Last edited by Chicken; 2017-07-06, 09:01 AM.
                            2ndwolf likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndwolf View Post
                              libzz is all stuff you wrote?
                              I don't want to sound like it's a negative thing but that's huge :O
                              Can I get some recognition for having over 100 classes in my engine?

Chicken likes this.

Comment

Well I'm comparing to the gserver's source files which has about that many files and yeah. That's a lot of files and it's admirable work.

In comparison with both of your projects, my own text adventure game was nothing. Something like four files, it had 21 rooms, look, take and typo handling functionalities. It's very basic. I expected Chicken's game to be somewhat like that in size.

image_4060.png
                                Chicken likes this.

Comment

Working...
                                X