Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 48 users online. 2 members and 46 guests.

Most users ever online was 1,083 at 04:38 AM on 2016-11-18.

Nostalgia Realms - Combat Test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostalgia Realms - Combat Test

Well here we go. I still didn't get to the level of completion I wanted for this to be a useful test, but I will update it incrementally throughout the week. This combat test will be up for the foreseeable future and I will continue to update this page. I'll edit this post later with more details.

Current todo:
    - Re-spawn on death.
    - Fix glitch in reentering house too fast (door link removed for now).
    - Improve entity interpolation.
    - Make sure to record past snapshots on the serverside so lag compensation "favors the shooter" (if they were on your screen in the area you attacked when you attacked, they should be hit to to a certain leniency. 64 tickrate server.).
    - Add spatial hashing collision checks on the serverside.
    - Upload system.

Future Roadmap:
    - Finish all level editor features and scripting engine API.
    - Release server binary/exe to community.
    - Add real content.
    - Other stuff.
    Steam?

Combat test v 0 . 0 . 2 pre-alpha.
    http://nostalgiarealms.com/play/

Hosted on a multi-core VPS.

All feedback good and bad appreciated. Keep in mind it's a heavy work in progress, but regardless of if I know about, feel free to point it out or complain about lag! Also if you have any kind of severe lag, please tell me your general location in the world so I know what kind of ping you have to the server.
    Last edited by Rou; 2017-04-21, 10:40 AM.
    Dylan, 2ndwolf and Chicken like this.

The game server keeps getting compromised even though it has keypair auth, password auth disabled, root login disabled, nonstandard ssh port, ect.

This is the third time I've reinstalled the OS on the server. It's actually infuriating, and the auth.log shows someone or some bot / installed trojan keeps installing Nginx and PHP on the server every night at 4 am, disables auth, and changes the ssh port.

If it happens again I'll submit a ticket to my server provider to see if they can give me any clue into wtf is going on. All of my other keypair auth enabled servers are fine, and the only thing running is a game server with a socket connection that has no i/o access or ability to execute scripts.

Anyone have any ideas feel free to post, I don't have time to deal with this bs at the moment.

Comment

is it a virutal server? if so i bet one of the other customers is breaking out of the "jail" and installing backdoors. a KVM might be a better vserver alternative. or just get a dedi. also i can host you on one of my dedis if you want.
      Last edited by hosler; 2017-04-21, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hosler View Post
        is it a virutal server? if so i bet one of the other customers is breaking out of the "jail" and installing backdoors. a KVM might be a better vserver alternative. or just get a dedi. also i can host you on one of my dedis if you want.
        Yeah it's an OpenVZ VPS and I was thinking it might be something like that because this seems extremely unlikely (at least as quickly as they're doing it) under my configuration. I should definitely submit a ticket either way if it happens again but yeah, if you could host it on one of your dedicated servers it'd be much appreciated.

Comment

pm me with a username and list of deps your game needs to run
          Rou likes this.

Comment

Combat test v 0 . 0 . 2
            Patch Notes: April 21, 2017

Change Log:
            • Fixed glitched re-entering levels and re-added door to house.
            • Hosted on hosler's dedicated server. (Thanks hosler!)
            • Centered text for user nick and user chat.
            • Chat fade timer fixed.
            • Added combat sounds.
            • Add "S" in addition to SPACE as an attack key (will be configurable through scripts).
            • Fixed crashing glitch by double-clicking login button.
            Next Up:
            • Fix newly found bug reentering the level (found by Chicken,)
            • Readd UI stylings.
            • Major refactor to entity interpolation / netcode.
            • Major refactor of animation runtime code.
            • Authoritative spatial hashing collision checking for walls on the server.
            http://nostalgiarealms.com/play/

(Make sure to reset your cache or go into incognito mode in chrome/firefox. There appears to be some caching issues.)
            Last edited by Rou; 2017-04-21, 10:41 AM.
            tricxta and Chicken like this.

Comment

The whole thing turned completely beige right when I moved.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndwolf View Post
                Was it from entering a level?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndwolf View Post
                  Got the same error actually, have no idea why, it's never done this before. Wish I had the server terminal open. I'm gonna have to find some way to log these panics to a file. Though it's hard when it comes to concurrent read/write panics.

Comment

does your binary dump useful stuff to stdout? you can make a wrapper shell script to dump all output to a file with a timestamp and keep it in a loop so when it crashes it will boot up again. the timestamp will ensure it writes to a new file every execute.
                    Rou likes this.

Comment

So I ended up writing a simple wrapper shell script like hosler's suggestion to append a file with the stderr contents on panic for the Go server and automatically restart it on crash. I'll be working on a major refactor of the netcode the coming weeks which will include making sure it's not possible for there to be concurrent read/writes to a single socket (which was the cause of the server crash), but primarily focused on lag compensation improvements.

For now this should band-aid the issue (and also potential future issues) and at some point this week I'll add a gui "reconnecting..." or "click here to reconnect" panel that opens if the socket closes on the client so you don't have to refresh the page.
                      Last edited by Rou; 2017-04-23, 07:27 AM.
                      tricxta and Chicken like this.

Comment

Now I've gotten the new animation runtime and new strongly typed serialization format (which also has the ability to send delta snapshots such as in the Valve Wiki / Doom 3 whitepaper) compiler mostly finished (at least serializing enough types that I can confidently start the game with), I've been working the past month on refactoring the engine from the ground up and creating a permanent basis for my engine. I'm happy to say that it's mostly finished, and now I'm just working to get the gameplay code back up to what the original demo that was at, which should hopefully take a couple nights at most since I have my old code as reference. So expect a new combat demo very soon.

I'm particularly proud of the current state of the server, as it's utilizing all the available cores of the system in a very parallel way. I've had a long time now to understand Go's very elegant and efficient concurrency model with extremely lightweight (green) threads called goroutines. So lets see what a years worth of reading whitepapers, Josh Glazer's book on architecting networked games, the valve source wiki and countless other documents looks like put into practice! Except things, very soon.

Comment

Very excited to see some more playable demos in the future would you say something in the next month would be a possibility?

Comment

Originally posted by tricxta View Post
                            Very excited to see some more playable demos in the future would you say something in the next month would be a possibility?
                            In the next month? Try this week! (Hopefully, depending on how much I can get done tomorrow.)

Comment

Awesome work :O Hopefully it doesn't look like I'm speed hacking again XD

Comment

Working...
                              X