Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 40 users online. 0 members and 40 guests.

Most users ever online was 1,083 at 04:38 AM on 2016-11-18.

Nostalgia Realms - Combat Test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chicken View Post
    Awesome work :O Hopefully it doesn't look like I'm speed hacking again XD
    Lol hopefully not because that would mean I did something terribly wrong. But in all seriousness unless I missed something in my code the server is now running a fixed tickrate of 60hz (which will be configurable with a config.json when I release the server) and tossing any extra data read by the sockets and automatically closes your connection to the server if you start flooding it with significantly more than 60fps of data, but any extra data isn't processed to begin with.
    Chicken likes this.

Comment

Getting close to where I was with my last demo. Have tiles, particles and basic client networking ported over to the refactored engine using the new animations runtime (haven't made the attack and walk animations yet) and serialization format. Also have players fading in and out when they log in / disconnect.

GIF is butchering the quality as usual, also the small framedrop when I take the mouse off the screen is only from chromes javascript optimization on unused tabs when I switched to a different window to log in with another player.

(Click gifv link for faster gif loadtimes.)
      https://i.imgur.com/9iAAZ61.gifv

The particles are working a lot more efficiently now that I have a much more optimized WebGL backend. Tonight I'm working on implementing the new clientside lag compensation using the "timelines programming model" based on a paper I read recently. If anyone is interested in reading that the link is here: https://link.springer.com/article/10...2-0271-3#Sec17
      Last edited by Rou; 2017-10-09, 11:44 PM.
      Dylan, tricxta and 2 others like this.

Comment

That fade effect is actually a pretty comfy idea. I've played a lot of games where players just pop in/out of existence and it weirds me out lol
        Rou likes this.
        Originally posted by antago
        Dude I would rip your fucking head off, you really think you're tough talking nasty and taking low blows--and I would feast on your fucking heart & love it. How does it feel? I'd scalp you alive and destroy your name in the pages of history like I'm doing now. I am here to write history, not cry like a little bitch and I didn't do it to myself.

So by all means, come with me out seas off borders and see what I do to you. Better yet, accept the curse from God you've just begged for--and now your life will go to shit.

Comment

So implementing the timelines programming model ended up being a lot more work than I thought, and I got some work done on it but after seeing the mountain of code required, I've just decided to implement simple valve-like lag compensation for now. It still needs some work and tweaking but here it is tested with a full 1000 ms/ping of simulated lag (which would be absolutely ridiculous in a real scenario for a real-time game).

https://i.imgur.com/eg8eygI.gifv

I'd still like to go with the timelines model for lag compensation as I feel it'll make it much easier to experiment with different lag compensation algorithms in the future and create the most optimal one for this game. However, I've spent too much time on it now and I'd like to move on to other features and come back to finish it in the future. Ultimately it's all an iterative process.

tricxta, Dylan and 2 others like this.

Comment

Added chat, tile collisions and a re-sizable canvas window back in. Currently working on combat which requires lag compensation to work properly so we'll see about if I can get the demo out this week. There's no point in releasing a test if there's no combat since that's the true test as to whether the new lag compensation / networking is working well.

https://i.imgur.com/yFrhKXW.gifv
            Dylan and Chicken like this.

Comment

Many cools :O I look forward to try this, at a normal speed
              Rou likes this.

Comment

Working...
              X