Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 21 users online. 1 members and 20 guests.

Most users ever online was 1,083 at 05:38 AM on 2016-11-18.

I'm a massive retard when it comes to programming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16

    Is C# as flexible as Java? I know you can make all sorts of stuff with Java, games, scripts for automation, etc. Learning C# while making clones of other games sounds like a good way to learn
    Originally posted by antago
    Dude I would rip your fucking head off, you really think you're tough talking nasty and taking low blows--and I would feast on your fucking heart & love it. How does it feel? I'd scalp you alive and destroy your name in the pages of history like I'm doing now. I am here to write history, not cry like a little bitch and I didn't do it to myself.

    So by all means, come with me out seas off borders and see what I do to you. Better yet, accept the curse from God you've just begged for--and now your life will go to shit.

    Comment

    • #17

      Your fist mistake is thinking your first project should be a game.

      Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

      Joey and Kondie like this.

      Comment

      • #18

        Originally posted by hosler View Post
        Your first mistake is thinking your first project should be a game.

        That may be a bit complicated... but if he knows GS1 and has already made some small scripts and mechanisms (like I did before starting with Java). He can surely integrate multiple small mechanisms and put them together into a game.

        My impression has always been that a game developer starts with a small project and from a project to another builds upon what has been made before. From simple to complex. Of course, the game has to be very simple if you want to finish your project. Especially if it is your first serious project.

        Make a square that will attract another when near, make controls for the player square... optionally add some GUI elements. The goal is to avoid the attracted squares, place multiple squares, make it scroll (that one will be the challenge) you have a game.
        Add a gun to destroy the attracted squares, you have a slightly upgraded game.

        The mistake really is the trap of becoming ambitious with the game you want to make. Many people have their epic MMORPG in mind that would take their whole life to develop.

        Get inspired by the Ludum Dare
        https://ldjam.com/

        Every 4 months, we challenge creators to make a game from scratch in a weekend.
        They are very talented, most of them kind of cheat and use or rewrite systems they created prior to the challenge; you will not be able to be as efficient as them. But you'll have a good idea of what is a small, realist, game project.

        edit:
        Of course, focus on the Compos (which are made by one person, Jams are by teams) and on the simpler looking games.
        Such as this one:
        https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/...ough-cat-lives
        Last edited by 2ndwolf; 2017-11-26, 08:13 PM.
        Yggdrasil likes this.

        Comment

        • #19

          Originally posted by hosler View Post
          Your fist mistake is thinking your first project should be a game.

          Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk
          >implying it's my first project
          >double implying that I mean to make a super complex duper hardcore game and not just a pong clone like everyone else
          Originally posted by antago
          Dude I would rip your fucking head off, you really think you're tough talking nasty and taking low blows--and I would feast on your fucking heart & love it. How does it feel? I'd scalp you alive and destroy your name in the pages of history like I'm doing now. I am here to write history, not cry like a little bitch and I didn't do it to myself.

          So by all means, come with me out seas off borders and see what I do to you. Better yet, accept the curse from God you've just begged for--and now your life will go to shit.

          Comment

          • #20

            Originally posted by Yggdrasil View Post
            Is C# as flexible as Java? I know you can make all sorts of stuff with Java, games, scripts for automation, etc. Learning C# while making clones of other games sounds like a good way to learn
            C# is definitely just as flexible as java if not more. But I'll emphasise again it's more important you understand the object oriented paradigm(it's not complicated) than any one or multiple languages.Inheritance and polymorphism are extremely powerful concepts, and if you can grasp them, the efficiency and effectiveness of how you go about solving problems will drastically improve.
            Yggdrasil likes this.


            Comment

            • #21

              Originally posted by Yggdrasil

              >implying it's my first project
              >double implying that I mean to make a super complex duper hardcore game and not just a pong clone like everyone else
              Alright lets see pong

              Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

              Dylan likes this.

              Comment

              Working...
              X