Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 23 users online. 0 members and 23 guests.

Most users ever online was 1,083 at 04:38 AM on 2016-11-18.

Rou's Multiplayer Game Progress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rou's Multiplayer Game Progress

I wasn't going to make a post about it until it's further into development. But I downloaded a nice screen-capture to gif software and so I thought screw it, might as well.

Here's a gif of it currently running in HTML5 / Javascript and Flash.

Obviously assets are placeholder.

http://i.imgur.com/najAQxn.gifv

Name: Secret for now, might change anyways.

Language: Haxe

Platforms: HTML5 Web, Native (Windows, Linux, Mac).

Goals:

- Create a game that's inspired by Graal, but not a Graal clone / client and not using any Graal assets (Other than possibly sprites I made myself for Graal in the past).
    - A top down zelda-inspired MMORPG-esque game with action combat.
    - Allow users to host their own server with the option of connecting to a main serverlist, or typing in the IP address.
    - Allow users to create their own NPCs, levels, items, graphics, animations, ect.
    - Allow in-game scripting and level editing.
    - Possibly a steam release later down the line with a freemium model like Graal used to be except not shit. Have a good base game, user generated content, and one time payment for any extras on top of that.

Public To Do (Will be edited):
    - Join / Leave + Logging (Done.)
    - Basic lag compensation (Clientside Prediction / Entity Interpolation / Server Reconciliation). (Done)
    - Advanced lag compensation. (50%)
    - Chat System. (25%)
    - Bone-based animation system. (25%)
    - Combat. (10%)
    - Scripting system (Lua or Javascript or both).
    - User upload system.
    - User management system. (Admins, Mods, ect.)
    - Others stuff.

Gotta work hard and hold on to your dreams m8's.
    Last edited by Ryuken; 2016-10-15, 11:25 PM.
    VariousWeapon, Kondie and Dylan like this.

>flash

nooooooooooo

well good work anyway
    Originally posted by antago
    Dude I would rip your fucking head off, you really think you're tough talking nasty and taking low blows--and I would feast on your fucking heart & love it. How does it feel? I'd scalp you alive and destroy your name in the pages of history like I'm doing now. I am here to write history, not cry like a little bitch and I didn't do it to myself.

So by all means, come with me out seas off borders and see what I do to you. Better yet, accept the curse from God you've just begged for--and now your life will go to shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Yggdrasil View Post
      >flash

nooooooooooo

well good work anyway

Flash isn't really holding things back in any way though, if anything it's HTML5 that's holding things back and has to be worked-around because of the inability to store local files on the fly unlike Flash with Adobe Air. Flash performs just as well as the other targets so far. So ultimately there's going to have to be two different ways to achieve that for it to be memory performant on the other platforms because of HTML5 when it comes to storing local files and asset loading.

Either way it's releasing for native Windows, Linux, Mac, Mobile and HTML5 all natively without touching flash regardless.
      Last edited by Ryuken; 2016-07-12, 08:50 AM.

Comment

The problem with flash isn't its speed. It's the vulnerability.
        Yggdrasil likes this.

Originally posted by Yenairo
        HEY GUYS, I MIGHT BE A RETARD.

Comment

Originally posted by Kondie View Post
          The problem with flash isn't its speed. It's the vulnerability.
          Vulnerability in what sense?

Security issues from my end? A flash drive-by? Obviously not going to happen. If you can't trust me not to inject malware into a program, why in god's name would you download an EXE from me instead?

Vulnerability from the player-end through hacking or decompilation?

Again, significantly worse in HTML5 since there is no obfuscation in javascript, it's all running and able to be seen and manipulated through the browser.

I don't care for flash, I'm not a flash defender, but the "flash is bad, kill flash, cancer of the internet bandwagon" hasn't provided any actual evidence as to a REASON why it's bad unless I've missed that reason. I'm curious to know if there is one or the explanation because it really just seems like a big circlejerk echochamber of the internet.

It's just a VM, a properietary VM, and because it's popular of course it's going to get exploited but also has been constantly patched due to it's proprietary nature and a large company behind it. It's still on more computers than compatibility for HTML5 is, having a flash fallback isn't bad if you don't want to throw away half your web playerbase for IE9 and below, and HTML5 Canvas Javascript performance on mobile is generally garbage, and mobile rarely supports flash, both need native ports / transcompilations.

If you choose web as a platform, it will be vulnerable no matter what, more vulnerable in fact with the new and shiny "HTML5 Canvas" than it is Flash.
          Last edited by Ryuken; 2016-07-13, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rou View Post
            hasn't provided any actual evidence as to a REASON why it's bad unless I've missed that reason
            It's especially bad if you consider Adobe's Flash editor. It's all buggy and shit. I know that lots of people are happy that HTML5 is now the standard or at least that it is dying.
            Trust me, it's really bad.. it's been my job for a year to work with Flash and other employees were like: it's like digging a hole with a spoon.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndwolf View Post

It's especially bad if you consider Adobe's Flash editor. It's all buggy and shit. I know that lots of people are happy that HTML5 is now the standard.
              Trust me, it's really bad.. it's been my job for a year to work with Flash and other employees were like: it's like digging a hole with a spoon.

"It's bad" is not a reason, it's a subjective unsubstantiated opinion based on nothing. I don't even use Adobe Flash editor, I'm coding this all from scratch with Haxe and transcompiling to ALL platforms, including web, mobile and native.

People are happy HTML5 is the new standard because they hate flash, not because flash is bad. Two completely different things. Again unless anyone can provide an objective reason for that when it comes to games, it's a meaningless statement.

The reason flash is bad for websites is because it's an externally downloaded program / VM, and it isn't natively embedded into the DOM like HTML5 Canvas. If HTML5 was compatible with older browsers than great, but it's not. Also the less vulnerable argument doesn't work, because it's actually MORE vulnerable because the code is able to be accessed open source straight through the browser and you have to go through extra steps to obfuscate it.

My job is being a full stack web developer, of course I don't touch flash. But you can't make that argument against games, especially as a fallback for HTML5 when someones browser isn't compatible. Some of the most popular javascript libraries like Socket.IO need a flash fallback to work on older browsers.

Saying it's bad because it's bad because it's bad just sounds like the circular logic of religion and dogma. "Well I can't find an actual, verifiable reason but I'm just gonna say it's bad because everyone else is!"
              Last edited by Ryuken; 2016-07-13, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Ok ok calm down.
                I have nothing to do with all those who say flash is crap and I do not care about those who are following the bandwagon.

I'm saying how the bandwagon started and why informed people would think it's bad for a real good reason.

Adobe's Flash editor would randomly crash, layers would disapear, I had some random behaviors and quirks you really had to know if you wanted it to go smoothly. Is that enough of a good explanation for you?

Apart from that, Flash in itself is still nice. Stuff like Flash Develop, that are for programmers (and not for MOST PEOPLE who could want to use Flash) are very good and there's no problem using it.

HTML5 is coming up to be the best tool FOR WYSIWYG so the general public (who mostly thinks Word is a design application btw) will prefer that and that's how it started.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndwolf View Post
                  Ok ok calm down.
                  I have nothing to do with all those who say flash is crap and I do not care about those who are following the bandwagon.

I'm saying how the bandwagon started and why informed people would think it's bad for a real good reason.

Adobe's Flash editor would randomly crash, layers would disapear, I had some random behaviors and quirks you really had to know if you wanted it to go smoothly. Is that enough of a good explanation for you?

Apart from that, Flash in itself is still nice. Stuff like Flash Develop, that are for programmers (and not for MOST PEOPLE who could want to use Flash) are very good and there's no problem using it.

HTML5 is coming up to be the best tool FOR WYSIWYG so the general public (who mostly thinks Word is a design application btw) will prefer that and that's how it started.
                  Right, and that's not flash. That's the flash editor. I mean I personally don't have a problem with Adobe Flash CC, I use it for animation. Hasn't performed any worse than photoshop for me personally.

Flash is a virtual machine, the flash player is the flash player, not the editor.

I am an informed person. I'm not arrogant enough to say "I'm an expert" but you have to learn to be the "expert" and research things for yourself rather than trusting the opinion of others because they could be wrong. It's fine to say "really smart people agree with this idea", but if you can't find a single objective reason as to why that is, then it's meaningless, making you the uninformed person. If I'm wrong I'd love to be given an objective reason as to why so that I can learn why I'm wrong, and further my knowledge. I'd love to be informed, as it would be in the benefit of myself and everyone.

I'll say it a million times, I'm not a flash defender, I'm not a flash fanboy, I would prefer not to even use Flash because of the stigma behind it, but you NEED it as a fallback for older browsers if you don't want to throw away a potential audience, and when I can literally transcompile with equal performance in Flash in one command and a few macros, why would I not do that? Doesn't make any sense.

It being vulnerable would be an argument, if it were true, but it's not because I just debunked it unless someone can give me a reason why I'm wrong.
                  Last edited by Ryuken; 2016-07-13, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Flash is heavy and inefficient. The less reasons I need Flash, the sooner I can get it off my computer.

Originally posted by Rou View Post
                    It being vulnerable would be an argument, if it were true, but it's not because I just debunked it unless someone can give me a reason why I'm wrong.
                    'muh words have power and so ure wrong!11!'
                    Most experts say Flash is vulnerable, but you're saying you know better. OK.
                    Dude I would rip your fucking head off, you really think you're tough talking nasty and taking low blows--and I would feast on your fucking heart & love it. How does it feel? I'd scalp you alive and destroy your name in the pages of history like I'm doing now. I am here to write history, not cry like a little bitch and I didn't do it to myself.

So by all means, come with me out seas off borders and see what I do to you. Better yet, accept the curse from God you've just begged for--and now your life will go to shit.

Comment

Flash is heavy and inefficient. The less reasons I need Flash, the sooner I can get it off my computer.

If you can give a verifiable reason, then I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong.

Point me to these experts. Do you even know what the word vulnerable means? Are you a programmer? Are you NetSec?

If so, you can probably give me at least one objective reason. Debunk even one of the specific statements I've made. I haven't been given one, only vague statements "its just bad" ad nauseum. So the opposing opinion is more akin to religious dogma without being given any actual reasons. All VMs are inefficient, I have no problem admitting that, Java, .NET, are you gonna take those off your computer when so many things run on .NET? Are you gonna uninstall Windows? I doubt it.

Vulnerable in the sense flash is vulnerable to drive-bys and malware injection? Already admitted that in the very first statement. But hey newsflash genius, so are EXEs, if you don't trust my programs don't use them.

The industry uses databases like MongoDB as one of the most popular database platforms. It's been widely discredited as an unsecure database by experts, which it might be, but it's still used across the board in the industry. So who is wrong, the professionals and experts who say it's bad, or the professionals and experts who say is good? The answer is complicated, and dependent on the scenario, and there are various opinions on the subject, though there is one prominent echochamber.

I've given plenty of reasons why it's not the case, as well as my recognition of the flaws of Flash and why as a web developer I don't use it, if you can show me why they're wrong, if you can give me specifics, I'm more than willing to listen. 100%. Even if you link me to a possibly unsubstantiated article, as long as it points out specific reasons, I'm willing to read it.

If you can't give those reasons but still continue to insist on an unsubstantiated opinion then you're a fucking idiot spouting dogma and no better than the delusional person you make fun of, Antago.

I never said "muh words have power" it's quite the opposite, observable evidence has power, and when presented with it, everyone has a bias but I'm more than likely to change my opinion in spite of whatever bias I may have.
                      Last edited by Ryuken; 2016-07-13, 01:53 AM.

Comment

hey yenairo. how much programming do you have under your belt?

Comment

Boy look at how many security vulnerabilities Adobe, (a large company with a proprietary platform that isn't open source just like Microsoft and .NET in Windows, cares about the reputation and stability of their platforms / VM) patched in today, hitting the news literally 8 hours ago. Kind of like they do, all the time.

https://threatpost.com/adobe-patches...player/119216/

Zero day attack vulnerabilities patched? Hmmm... Well ignoring the fact that Adobe just patched their platform (even though not all security flaws can be fixed, but that's true of any platform, including your browser, including firefox and chrome which is why all require constant updates, cyber security 101 you could learn in first-year college class), zero day attacks (typically referred to by the hacking community as drive-bys) would require malice on the part of the developer, and volunteering on the part of the user to trust the developer not to to infect their computer.

Just like uhh, .exe file on a native desktop application which could much more easily infect your computer with a no additional security later.

If the developer is reputable and you have an antivirus, you should have nothing to worry about in an exe file. But you always have something to worry about, again cyber security 101.

Oh wow, kind of like I stated in my very first post to Kondie responding about "vulnerabilities", being accurate to my original statement. In case you forgot to read that post a couple posts ago.

"Security issues from my end? A flash drive-by? Obviously not going to happen. If you can't trust me not to inject malware into a program, why in god's name would you download an EXE from me instead?

Vulnerability from the player-end through hacking or decompilation?

Again, significantly worse in HTML5 since there is no obfuscation in javascript, it's all running and able to be seen and manipulated through the browser."

Again if you don't trust me or my programs don't bother using them. Not that you even have to use the flash version of my program anyways which makes this entire discussion completely pointless based on the context of "flash being vulnerable" so you can't trust it, or rather me because of the POTENTIAL of a zero day attack. Literally you can just use the HTML5 verison, the mobile version, the native desktop version, ect. if you even care to use it.

Nobody has to use the Flash verison, nobody has to use it, touch it, look at it, or even acknowledge it's existence to use my game / application, meaning the "vulnerability" (being on the user end to malware) is completely and utterly meaningless. They all connect to the same servers, they all function the same way. The flash version is only there as a backup if the browser detects that you are using an older browser like Internet Explorer 9 and below (in which case you have a lot more security vulnerabilities to worry about than just Flash) and it is incompatible with and doesn't support modern javascript and HTML5. If you don't want to be vulnerable to the possibility of any flash program opening on your browser at all, uninstall flash, simple as that.
                          Adobe today pushed out an updated Flash Player today that patched 52 vulnerabilities, most of which led to remote code execution on compromised machines.
                          Last edited by Ryuken; 2016-07-13, 03:41 AM.

Comment

52 vulnerabilities, why? Considering the frequency of these vulnerabilities, it's no wonder Mozilla regularly restricts its users from using this bloatware.

Originally posted by hosler View Post
                            hey yenairo. how much programming do you have under your belt?
                            0. It takes no programming knowledge to understand Adobe sucks at their job.

Comment

52 vulnerabilities, why? Considering the frequency of these vulnerabilities, it's no wonder Mozilla regularly restricts its users from using this bloatware.

0. It takes no programming knowledge to understand Adobe sucks at their job.

All VMs have zero day attack vulnerabilities, all browsers have vulnerabilities. Hackers are persistent, and often monetarily motivated. Exploits will always be found, which is why every OS, every platform, every VM, every browser, Linux, Mac, Windows, Chrome, Firefox, Java, .NET, ect. requires constant security patches.

This is a basic cyber security concept.

Whatever security flaws were there, Adobe patched them. No matter what they lose in your eyes, you're just saying whatever fits your bias and narrative regardless.

I'm not a fan of flash or adobe, nor am I even using it as the main platform, nor is anyone even required to use it to play my game or develop for it, nor is there any point to this argument whatsoever, but the statements being made here are completely unsubstantiated and utterly inaccurate.

Comment

Working...
                              X