Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 91 users online. 3 members and 88 guests.

Most users ever online was 1,083 at 04:38 AM on 2016-11-18.

AttemptX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2ndwolf View Post
    Hahaha
    I actually output much better code with a greater understanding thanks to that book. I'm glad I read that book, an awesome programmation book. Definitely not time lost. I also did not completely finish it because everyone was so eager.
    Reading into good practices is definitely something you should be doing but reading a whole book definitely seems like overkill. Besides, how can you effectively process all that information in one hit assuming the book is of a decent size? I think it's best to try and fail, take away the lesson and do better next time.That's how I can describe my coding career, it's just been an incremental progression of improvement as I'm exposed to ideas that work, and ideas that clearly don't work and should be stayed away from. No one expects you to get things right the first time around.
    Chicken likes this.

Comment

tricxta have you adopted the fail faster method?

Comment

Sounds like it.

I obviously don't remember the whole book but it brought useful things to my attention. Which is the point of reading that kind of book, why it's my favorite kind of book and why I bother reading books in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by hosler View Post
          tricxta have you adopted the fail faster method?
          Well.. kind of but not really. My philosophy is it's better to make a choice than no choice at all when granted only so much time. While I try to make the informed and supposedly better choice, I don't spend so much time so as to ensure with absolute certainty it's going to be a success. Basically, I try to be pragmatic.

Comment

So finally at the end of this weekend, I have now implemented all the basic features that I intend to support for this version of the engine.
            The script editor features code testing, highlighting faulty lines, syntax highlighting, brace matching and autocompletion with a few basic keywords and common functions.

The next item on my list is now the networking including the execution of serverside scripts and their relaying of information to clients.
            Kondie, Chicken and Rou like this.

Comment

Sounds like an awesome script editor you did there.

Comment

i like how you made it an analog to the graal editor

Comment

Originally posted by hosler View Post
                  i like how you made it an analog to the graal editor
                  Well my intended audience is graal developers and I think there's not much wrong with the graal engine other than its halt in development, so I wanted to aid the transition in terms of not having developers feel like they have to learn something completely alien.
                  2ndwolf likes this.

Comment

Looking great. Thought I might make a style icon based off the one I did in my updated UI icon set, for you. Not sure if you had intended style/formatting button, but meh. I did it for fun.

Dylan and tricxta like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken View Post
                      Looking great. Thought I might make a style icon based off the one I did in my updated UI icon set, for you. Not sure if you had intended style/formatting button, but meh. I did it for fun.

Looks sweet, I'll definitely use these!
                      Chicken likes this.

Comment

Damn, looks like the e acute while editing a message make the message stop that character and erase the rest!
                        Will rewrite the main points:

First, Impressive!
                        Second: You load Weapons directory, rather than weapons directory (W case difference).
                        This make -weapon not to load on Linux because filesystem is case-sensitive.
                        Third: small glitch: dead sound not loading:
                        Offline mode succesfully initiated.
                        com.badlogic.gdx.utils.GdxRuntimeException: Error creating music com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.audio.Wav$Music for file: /home/paul/T(e acute)l(e acute)chargements/graal_reborn/sounds/dead.wav
                        at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.audio.OpenALAudio. newMusic(OpenALAudio.java:130)
                        at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.audio.OpenALAudio. newMusic(OpenALAudio.java:41)
                        Four: works fine on Ubuntu 17.04, either with OpenJRE or OracleJRE.
                        Last edited by Zartox; 2017-04-14, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zartox View Post
                          Damn, looks like the e acute while editing a message make the message stop that character and erase the rest!
                          Will rewrite the main points:

First, Impressive!
                          Second: You load Weapons directory, rather than weapons directory (W case difference).
                          This make -weapon not to load on Linux because filesystem is case-sensitive.
                          Third: small glitch: dead sound not loading:
                          Offline mode succesfully initiated.
                          com.badlogic.gdx.utils.GdxRuntimeException: Error creating music com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.audio.Wav$Music for file: /home/paul/T(e acute)l(e acute)chargements/graal_reborn/sounds/dead.wav
                          at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.audio.OpenALAudio. newMusic(OpenALAudio.java:130)
                          at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.audio.OpenALAudio. newMusic(OpenALAudio.java:41)
                          Four: works fine on Ubuntu 17.04, either with OpenJRE or OracleJRE.
                          Thanks for reporting all of this, I'm surprised as much of it worked as it did on a linux system. There's actually a linux build of libgdx I should compile with for your case which might fix the problem. In future formal releases I'll do this.

Comment

So after having let this thread rest for a while, I can assure you I have not stopped with this project, however progress became slow moving to the networking as I'm very new to the scene and haven't exactly decided how things should best be done. However.. I'm partially done with networking for now, and although it's somewhat crappy (or could be improved performance wise) I've decided to move to clientside features.

I now have a seteffect type function scripted, along with mechanics to distinguish certain npcs as "lights" and render them using a shader that accounts for the overall brightness of each pixel to determine its transparency in efforts to mimic what graal does.

Additionally, both images and animations can be rotated, scaled, and recoloured.

As for handling the hierarchy of which lights should be drawn, they're drawn between the last 'level'(tile) layer and the first 'gui' layer.

I also hope to draw all lights to the one frame buffer object and thus holes could be cut out for things like lantern effects.

What do you guys think of all this and is there features you'd like that I haven't already stated?
                            Last edited by tricxta; 2017-10-02, 01:00 PM.
                            2ndwolf, Dylan and 3 others like this.

Comment

Very cool :O
                              tricxta likes this.

Comment

Just going to start posting smaller more incremental progress.

So I've sorted out my animation rendering and now can display them as I would a normal image. The image shown is a result of a quick script I put together with a rotated copy of the npcs animation to follow the mouse and mimic a shadow.

Also sorry about the playback speed, my gif recorder(that I made) needs a bit of tweaking as it seems to be making the frames too short. If any of you could recommend some freeware you might use to capture gifs, that'd be nice.
                                Last edited by tricxta; 2017-10-08, 02:35 AM.
                                Kondie, Dylan and 3 others like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X