Community Discussion

I’m not intimidated. I just realize that myself and others are being talked down to (especially considering having just admitted to feeling like you’re talking to children a majority of the time). And that’s not fair. Listen, you’re smart and have been extremely helpful to GR. For that I am thankful and respectful [of the fact]. I couldn’t do what you do technically and I don’t think many of us could. But, you’re a jerk all the same, so it doesn’t make you any better than anyone else.

Why you being a jerk vs Spooon being a jerk is different in your eyes is a mystery to me.

What exactly would I have to do to not be a “jerk” in your eyes? Should I lace my sentences with flowers and bows? That doesn’t change the meaning overall, it just makes it lack the sternness I feel about what I’m saying. If you can’t handle that, then that sounds like an issue on your side to me.

Nothing I’ve said has been exclusively with the intent to annoy someone. Can you say the same about someone else? I’m not sure how much bigger a difference there could be.

Oh, and if you think that I expect to be liked solely because I’ve done things for the project, you’re very wrong. I don’t expect to be glorified. I do expect to have a decent place to discuss ideas and get feedback. That doesn’t exist here. Children run rampant. I get treated negatively not only for saying what I mean (you know, honesty), but for daring to have a different point of view. It’s no wonder nothing gets done, aside from the lack of time.

There is a difference between being tactful and being dishonest. You can be honest without being so discourtious of other peoples feelings. You can be tactful, stern, get your point across and be well-liked. If that’s not your progative then that’s fine, but you can’t feign understanding why people may treat you negatively.

I can understand why trying to get legitimate feedback here is frustrating for you. A lot of us simply don’t understand enough to be critical. For better or worse we trust you. As far as critiquing other aspects of Graal, of which people do understand, is going to be like a lot places on the internet: hard because it’s the internet. I actually agree with you with your approach to cringing someone’s script. Though, suggesting that I deal (instead of treating it as a non-issue) with it is surprising coming from you who was so stauchly against heavy moderation. To get everyone to behave would involve either heavy moderation or fostering an environment which allows people to grow and learn from each other. I favor the latter.

I’m not suggesting you do anything, but it might do you good to remember this is a video game forum: we get a lot of kids here.

All I’m saying us that a nice word here or there goes a long way.

Since I apparently didn’t word that clearly enough, I don’t even expect to be LIKED. I do tend to say things in a way that most people take personally, since just about everyone takes everything personally. If you’re reading/posting on the internet, and can’t handle that, you’re in the wrong place.

I’m sure you’re thinking that’s hypocritical to say, which is likely because you don’t understand what I feel the problem is here. Nobody can handle their point of view being challenged without seeing the person challenging it as a threat to their existence. It feels absolutely pointless to post anything here unless it’s agreeing with everything that’s already been said, because it’ll be looked down upon otherwise. As I said, it’s as if any sort of argument is completely undesirable and everyone should just agree on everything without thought. It’s ridiculous. It’s exactly the kind of situation you have with, say, a family, who will blindly support each other even if they know one of them is wrong.

Those conditions make being here or doing anything for people who behave in this manner completely undesirable. To be clear, not everyone is like this, but the majority seem to be.

I like how you got that I’m “so staunchly against heavy moderation” when the only problem I had with what you had suggested a while ago was regarding deleting off-topic posts in threads. That absolutely does not equate to allowing intentionally-provocative posts to be made.

Your feeling about me having a hard time admitting when I’m wrong couldn’t be further from the truth. What even makes you say that? Because you think you’re unquestionably right at the moment and that I have a problem for not agreeing? THAT sounds pretty hypocritical. How can you even think that you’re right and there are no current problems here? I can’t comprehend. Oh no, I didn’t agree again, that MUST mean I have a hard time admitting I’m wrong.

Also, I’d love to see some examples of posts from me that you think warrant all of this discussion to begin with. Especially when what you posted in this thread initially was exactly the type of “jerk” thing you’re accusing me of. I suppose I’m going to have, say, this and the last few posts pointed out, right? Simply because they’re not worded more “friendly”? If that’s all it is, then you can feel free to continue calling me a name. Aside from someone who’s emotionally unstable, that should not be an issue, as the same exact message is being communicated regardless.

lol

Exactly the kind of responses that were expected and described, how surprising.

It’s funny that you believe I always acted like this, but I guess there isn’t anything to prove otherwise since all of my posts from back then have been removed by Joey.

There was a time when I cared about what was going on on the forums and there was a reason why I was made a Super Moderator. It just took a couple years of being ridiculed and depreciated for doing my job as a moderator to stop giving a fuck about most of the members on the forums. GR goes in cycles of moderation changes and this kind of shit has already happened several times; you’re just part of it now, Kat.

I’m bored with Graal completely. The only thing I really enjoyed doing was developing, but I’m not going to get any better with making levels and there is no point in coding when there’s always a newer version of GScript I don’t feel like using. I just don’t care how people think of me in any Graal community. Let’s be serious, Graal is Graal. GraalOnline, iPhone Graal, Graalians, Graal Reborn, Anti-Graal; it’s all fucking Graal. I’m just sticking around GR for now because something new might happen.

It’d be pretty fucking cool if you do all the stuff you say you’re going to do, but I don’t have too much faith in you. It’s not because of how you act, so don’t question me on it. There have been a lot of people that have shown up claiming they are going to do some awesome stuff with GR, and none of them have gone through with it. The only difference now is that you have Thor and Marlon backing you up.

Maybe you’ll prove me wrong, and I’ll apologize for all my shit and even thank you for your efforts. But right now I just don’t give a fuck.

Two years ago the forums were pretty shitty and this happened: http://forums.graal.in/forums/showthread.php?4958-People-who-have-been-members-for-less-than-2-years

I’m amazed that you actually posted something with thought and without malicious intent. If only you’d restrict yourself to that. I feel the same way in regard to not caring about what people think about me. However, I don’t take that as “I’m going to try to be as obnoxious as I can with no purpose other than my own pathetic sense of amusement out of others’ annoyance”. Except when absolutely deserved, I don’t understand how people even find that amusing.

I guess there was an inherent assumption that you had always acted this way. That didn’t really have anything to do with my complaints, though, as they’re based on now. I will say that you’ve improved my opinion of you somewhat with that post. There’s just too much damage done to be more than a “somewhat” at this point.

I’d say we’re mostly all bored with Graal. It’s been around for a very long time, and nothing particularly significant has happened for the majority of that time. This is especially true regarding the ability to develop more interesting things. Just because there’s not much to do doesn’t mean we should turn what’s essentially a waiting room into 4chan, though. I can’t speak for the others who’ve attempted to get something done, but I personally need to know that people are really interested in what I’m spending my time on. I need suggestions, opinions, and discussion about it. None of us need a place where we’re frowned upon for having a differing opinion, or where everything has to be worded SO politely that we all puke. (That’s not saying outright insults and immaturity are acceptable.)

Regarding not trusting me to actually get it done, you’re more than justified in feeling that way, even though you had no way of knowing that. I really don’t have a good history of completing projects, which is pretty common among developers, it seems. I only have one pretty large project that I ever completed, out of 3 that I’d consider worthwhile. I do intend to try to see this through, but having to spend my free time defending myself from everyone isn’t helping.

As I’ve already admitted to, yes, I do word things more direct and in such a way that’s almost always interpreted as too harsh. Ignoring that fact for a minute though, (and this is aimed at The Mollusk again), can you say that anything I’ve posted has no purpose otherwise? If not, what’s the problem here aside from people that’re too easily bothered by not politely being told someone thinks they’re wrong?

Anyway, it’s good to see that you’re able to make respectable posts, and I encourage you to stick to just that.

This is the Spooon I’ve waited for to come back.

For Spooon:
[spoiler]
By the way, Spooon, I would give you your posts back if it wouldn’t be such a hassle to deal with vbulletins crappy table structure. Also, the backups containing your posts are pre-vb4 which means they might contain different Id’s for threads and posts. Sorry!
[/spoiler]

Yeah I know. I don’t expect for them to be brought back anyways. My posts shouldn’t have been deleted and Beholder shouldn’t have deleted Riley’s. Too much shit missing from the forums.

Riley removed all his own posts when he left, because he thought that was the best thing for him to do. (No reason to come back)[COLOR=“Silver”]

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

[/COLOR]btw, I still have a file on my desktop named spooons-pots.sql

I remember Riley telling me he asked Beholder to do it.

also: http://forums.graal.in/forums/showthread.php?5018-ya/page7

This thread is a hemorrhage that needs to be patched up

This thread needs to happen.

It’s making me embarrassed and not for myself. Everyone seems drunk.

shrug I’d move the off-topic posts to a separate thread but lulz I’m not mod

Moved.

Don’t feel bad for us. I agree with Spooon. I mean, I think I gained some insight. For me, it’s worth it just for that. We should be able to talk open and honestly and be confident that everyone is going to be fine.

Nor would anyone else who seen the whole lot of nothing he did for classic when he was in charge.

Codr in charge of Classic? When… where? A thirteen year absence yields so many questions and new (welcomed) faces.

It’s not the so called “Anti-Unixmad” stuff that drives people away… There have been periods of months and even years with no mention at all of Unixmad one way or another and activity was at a standstill and near dead. If anything scares people away from here it’s all the pointless bickering and infighting amongst GR’s own members and admins, that and the lack of steady playercounts higher than 0, 1 or 2…