How did YOU end up here?

I think i found a link in Spooon’s profile on official graal for graal.in and i ended up here…

An online friend, Thndrshk2k, found out about Graal Reborn. I don’t know how. Anyways, him, my friend Holycat/Booshnaka/Kittyholy/wtf, and I messed around with Graal Reborn by hosting our own server and putting a bunch of the scripts we had created over the years on a crappy level. I used to have an image of this, but who knows where it went.

Then we decided to make a server. So we started making Waffles. Beholder had a cool map script on Sentinel. I wanted it so I wrote my own stole it shamelessly. I started hacking the gserver to make it work. I fixed a lot of gserver bugs. I supplied a patch, but they were too lazy to merge it and instead decided to just give me write permission to the SVN repository. I then made a bunch of releases fixing a ton of stuff.

Then I raged at the gserver source code, took Joey’s initial start at a re-write, and completely re-wrote everything from scratch. That is where we are at now.

and thats why were still here :0

aww i miss the old source code :(!

I think I mentioned Graal Reborn to Thndrshk2k if he was hanging around on the GO forums back then. ^^

I remember Thndrshk2k! I used to think you were both the same person when Waffles was first put up.

Used Google not too long after Graal became a pay to play service… found Graal Reborn, created account, waited a while, account got deleted… just re-registered a few weeks ago.

I heard of it from one of my friends when I “worked” for GO, and he called it a “Noob place with Noob script”, so I took a look at the site…

Don’t lie, we all know you’re a secret agent sent from the Ookami Clan!

I played Graal 2001 when I was like 11 or 12 years old. I spent just about a whole summer playing nothing but Graal and I logged on everyday. Looking back on it I didn’t see sunlight very often, but I don’t regret it. I had a blast. The most fun I’ve ever had with people online.

I always wanted to recreate that experience. So, 10 years later my curiosity takes me to graalonline.com only to find it a former shell of what it was. The website looked like a gambling website for kids. Anyway, when I searched Graal this Graal reborn thing kept popping up. I investigated it a little bit with my buddy Rone. He ended talking to Beholder about what Graal Reborn was all about. I decided that this place exactly was what I was looking for. A tight community of Graalians working to make some good stuff. I love this place and this game despite all the quirky misgivings about all of it. After all, that’s what makes Graal…Graal. I think it was Downsider who said, “if it ain’t broken, it’s not Graal”. That’s exactly right and I like it.

You’re a fucking poet.

Austin, no just stop there. I wasn’t sent from the Ookami Clan…

I was told about this place called “anti-unixmax” from a few people on Unholy Nation. As a player distraught with Graal Online, I decided to check it out, liked the idea of it, and joined with acct link1595.

i don’t even remember the year i started messing with graal , I’d have to ask a friend to get a rough date . He was the one that got me into graal . he bought a server for a project called “Rune” . not soon after he got me on board with that he was stationed in Korea , worked on that for awhile but it got boring by myself so i started looking at other servers , wound up on shaded legend doing lat work , wound up going from there to a another buddy’s server called “Spartoria” , it eventually died off and i returned to SL , worked my way through damn near every job till i got up to manager by which time graal was losing developers at an alarming rate . left graal for several years until my buddy that first got me into graal returned from Iraq and told me about reborn , so here i am .

Well let’s see here.

I played Graal way back. Well, way back for me. I must have joined around client 1.39. I’m 22 now, so-- damn, I was young back then. Probably a pox on the community, too. Good times.

I was talking to some friends (who joined right after me) about some old games while pulling an all-nighter. We logged into the official Graal so I could give them a rough idea of what it was like. Kind of wondered if anyone made an old Classic type server to play around on, since I sorta missed that. That’s when I ran into Reborn. I’ve been playing around with a server, trying to get one running. Not exactly sure what I’d do with it, but I have decent hosting available so it’s always something to tinker with.

I ironed out all of my issues, combing the forums for whatever knowledge I could (and bothering Cadavre in the IRC at least once.)

My favorite issue was while running an old levelpack. Signs not appearing, but acting like they had. Missing letters.gif. Durr.

Graal itself has had a lot of nostalgia for me. I really had no idea what a computer was when I started and I sort of learned through it. My exposure to the map editor and scripting sort of propelled me down the road of a programmer, and going back to these roots has been fun, to say the least.

Born+Bored+Graal Browser-based Game+Life+Grown up a bit+bored during highschool+being staff on quite a few official servers+bored of servers and abusive staff+decided to be stupid enough to spend actual money to host a server+server goes nowhere as my main staff just wanted to make an RPG server+back to graal some more as I took a long hiatus+Everyone leaves?+Dead Servers?+Less than 10 people on one of my favorite servers at any given time?+Google Searches+recommendations from friends+thoughts of development of a server+Google=This Graal.

TLDR? Played original Graal. Got bored a lot. Had some fun, got bored again. Google goooglllee, google. This Graal.

All I saw was a giant grammatical error.

I started playing Graal when I was younger; I vaguely remember a game called Zelda Online that was near-identical, though I don’t know if it was the same game. I’ve always been a Zelda freak (the first video game I ever played - and beat - was Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening) and the fact that Graal is just a simple knockoff of A Link to the Past (or was) made it easy to adapt.

I had actually paid a long time ago for a gold account, and that account was grandfathered in before the whole Pay to Play thing. I actually just got sick of the people; I did a brief stint as a Events Manager on N-Pulse, my most common server to play on, but the server was just built around its favorite few people, and I found no place for me there.

From there I just googled something like “Graal Free Server” and sifted through a few. I liked the look of this one (I guess I caught it on a good day, its fairly slow now) so I subscribed and stuck around.

I still haven’t managed to see anyone else on another server besides Mollusk and Rone… >_> And it was THEIR server, so that doesn’t really count.

Zelda Online was the name before Nintendo sued Stefan.

Cool! I’m not crazy, then.