Hi, it’s been a while. I left this community over a year ago so I’m not sure what is being developed anymore. However, I had some time over break to continue working on a browser-based multiplayer game that I had posted about. I don’t have any concrete plans for this yet, beyond prototyping, but I figured I’d share it here on the off-chance that I’d need some help with development or as something of a preface to a massive file dump on git for anyone to experiment with. I will be posting a demo link in the next week or so.
I’m posting this in a bit of a rush now so I’ll briefly lay out some of the current mechanics below and edit this later for further detail. Not every feature is depicted in the video. A quick note on multiplayer: I’ve managed to create a relatively consistent real-time multiplayer experience using websockets, however, you might notice that other connected players will occasionally freeze in place due to TCP ordering guarantees.
• Basic multiplayer with an authoritative server
• Asset preloader (tilemap, tileset, images, sprites)
• Sprite interpreter
• Tilemaps rendered by JSON and created/imported from Tiled with layers (above, walls, ground)
• Collision-detection system
• Timers and cooldowns
• Player state machine (idle, walk, sit, shoot, punch)
• Basic gun and bullet mechanics
• HP and bullet-amount indicators
• Teleportation / Level changer
• NPC interactions
• Chat system (will be pushed to the right on the interface, as I realize that it’s a bit inconvenient to have
it lay under the game screen).
Also, if any of you would like to create levels with these tiles, I would be happy to share the tileset I’ve created and the corresponding attribution files. All sourced from opengameart.org.
Edit: From what I gathered from some of the other threads posted within the last few months here with regards to the end of GR and etc., I just wanted to point out that I enjoy the development process, have some time to spare, and do not intend on turning this into much more than what it looks like.