Quick Question

Does GR still use a GS1-like scripting language?

yes. it is gs1.

the npc-servers scripting looks more like gs2 though.

Is there any possibility it may turn, optionally, to some form of GS2?

would have to ask the people coding the gserver. im just now getting the hang of GS1…if we goto GS2 im gonna get a headache the size of the moon.

Actually, I and many people find GS2 much simpler once they figure out it’s the same but with params in their commands and more functionality.

I thought Stefan rescripted all the Torque Engine and Script?

And we believe this, why? Lol

Client still needs the bytecode, and no one here feels like messing with it :smiley:

___Merged doublepost__________________

damn, they beat me to it

Touché.

http://www.garagegames.com/community/forums/viewthread/34403/4#comment-279213 <— reads :smiley: may give some light on the situation

From my understanding not being to familiar with torque, Stefag thought he could use torque all the time for any game, thinking torque license extend to any game but apparently he was wrong. It’s always been in the license agreement that torque is a per license game, and to inform torque makers if your going to release a game using torque engine (assuming so they can keep tabs on your game in case it becomes popular they can collect).

[i]

Torque Commercial EULA Changes

by Prairie Games · in Torque Game Engine · 09/11/2005 (7:42 am) · 75 replies
The Torque Commercial License EULA has been changed. It would appear to now be impossible to create “Code Packs” or other tools with the commercial license.

Under restrictions: (iv) create a Product which is itself a game engine or game-making tool without the express written consent and permission of GarageGames;

Also, the previous license allowed you to make “source code and object code electronic single or multi-user products” while the new one only allows “executable electronic single or multi-user products”.

Of course, there is a major loophole: “(b) Licensee may not distribute the source code to the engine in any manner, unless recipient also has a license to the Engine”

Under the new license, it’s not possible to create console products for XBox, PS2, or GameCube without a seperate agreement.

The Changes:

Quote:
2. LICENSE GRANT.

Licensor grants Licensee a single "seat" to an individual, a limited non-exclusive license to use the Torque Game Engine ("Engine) for the purposes of making source code and object code electronic single or multi-user products ("Products").

… is now:

Quote:
2. LICENSE GRANT.

Licensor grants Licensee a single seat to an individual, a limited non-exclusive license to use the Torque Game Engine (Engine) for the purposes of making executable electronic single or multi-user products ("Products").

… and this:

Quote:
The following restrictions apply to the use of this Engine:

(a) Licensee may not: (i) create any derivative works of the Engine, including translations or localizations, other than the Products; (ii) reverse engineer, or otherwise attempt to derive the algorithms for the Engine (iii) redistribute, encumber, sell, rent, lease, sublicense, or otherwise transfer rights to the Engine; or (iv) remove or alter any trademark, logo, copyright or other proprietary notices, legends, symbols or labels in the Engine.

(b) Licensee may not distribute the source code to the engine in any manner, unless recipient also has a license to the Engine.

…has been changed to:

Quote:The following restrictions apply to the use of this Engine:

(a) Licensee may not: (i) create any derivative works of the Engine, including translations or localizations, other than the Products; (ii) reverse engineer, or otherwise attempt to derive the algorithms for the Engine (iii) redistribute, encumber, sell, rent, lease, sublicense, or otherwise transfer rights to the Engine; (iv) create a Product which is itself a game engine or game-making tool without the express written consent and permission of GarageGames; or (v) remove or alter any trademark, logo, copyright or other proprietary notices, legends, symbols or labels in the Engine.

(b) Licensee may not distribute the source code to the engine in any manner, unless recipient also has a license to the Engine.

(c) Licensee may not release Products intended for operation on Game Console Systems including the Microsoft XBox, Sony Playstation 2, Nintendo GameCube, or their successors without first obtaining a separate Torque Game Engine Console License from GarageGames.

Both contain this:

Quote:9. MISCELLANEOUS.

This Agreement may be amended only by a writing signed by both parties.

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games
[/i]

Stephane Portha
[i]

Sorry to come after the battle but I have been really surprise by this new license and the comments made by Garage.

If I read well “This Agreement may be amended only by a writing signed by both parties.” so the previous Commercial License holder should not be affected by this change. So why not explain how this new license will affect old license? Do we have to accept the new license to update our engine ? …

I understand the need to change the license but it is now very restrictive, when we have started making games with torque we thought we could port torque to new platform, with the new license we need to ask Garage Before.

Also the article saying that you can’t create a game making tool is in my point not accurate at all, for example our game graal include a level editor and this is a game making tool, so if we accept the new license we can not distribute such tools.

I personally don’t appreciate to hear that you should read the license nicely and understand that garage will only use such license against “very bad companies”. Imagine that one day Garage is sold to another bigger company and imagine that this company wants to stop my company for distributing our game, who will stop them? We have seen such example in the news a few month ago.

We have taken lot of months to rewrite our game engine to use part of torque because the license was very liberal and we now discover that the rules have changed, I am personally very unhappy about it.

If garage goal was to stop some companies that were abusing the license then they should have modified the license to stop specifically such companies but not make general rules that make half of the product illegal.

I will be happy to make business with Garage but I don’t want to ask authorisation for running my business. [/i]

Stephen Zepp responce

[i]
@Stephane: Don’t take this the wrong way, but you are over-reacting to an over-reaction!

Quote:
If I read well "This Agreement may be amended only by a writing signed by both parties." so the previous Commercial License holder should not be affected by this change. So why not explain how this new license will affect old license? Do we have to accept the new license to update our engine ? ...

You are correct, and correct as well on the upgrade. If for whatever reason you absolutely do not want the “new” (it’s actually been the commercial license for months) license, then simply don’t do any version upgrades. Do not that if you do exceed $250k, etc., then you will need to come back to the table regarding upgrading from indie to commercial.

Quote:
I understand the need to change the license but it is now very restrictive, when we have started making games with torque we thought we could port torque to new platform, with the new license we need to ask Garage Before.

Even the old indie and commercial license said specifically that it was a license for Mac, PC, and linux. This “new” license doesn’t change much (if anything) at all–it simply makes it more clear what the Indie and Commercial licenses are intended for.

Stephane, I highly suggest that you email Jeff T. or Mark F. regarding your concerns–as we’ve noted above, there are a variety of reasons (not the least of which NDA concerns on your part) why this discussion should be handled via email. I’m confident that either one of those two can help you get a better feel for how the license applies to your particular position.
[/i]

so Unix is getting in trouble for misusing torquescript? sweet!

I know how it’s done. I just don’t know how to do C++ stuff. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well yes but look at it in this light, one can reverse engineer without the threat of another entity coming after them aka torque. Pretty much gives a better opening in the legalities of the situation also shows how screwed P2P graal, as in to what exactly they did, of course we could be completely off but i doubt it. Stefag isn’t in trouble because no one probably cares unless he’s making a substantial amount of $

If anything it kind of confirms what route Stefag went after he didn’t want to shell out any more $$$ (keep in mind Alien abuse scam as well) also early indication that Stefag was planning to put things on the iphone or other console bases instead of being limited to the PC, mac, and linux.

Stefan himself states that he’s not using torqueengine anymore, it might be true to an extent. He’s not using the 3D engine anymore, it’s scrapped for a 3D engine that works for iPhone. But the bytecode compiler is still the same as in torqueengine.

I know this is true.

The answer is 6.

GROW UP, YOU’RE ON THE INTERNET!

Awww…Spooon gets no love:(

GROW UP, YOU’RE ON THE INTERNET!

GROW UP , YOUR ON THE F***ING FORUMS !!! NOW STFU WITH THAT B******T !

GROW DOWN!