Rha - A sort of alternate client

Yeah. I was going to eventually move to shaders, if not just for optimization purposes. For example, sprite sheet animation can be done in a shader via a UV coordinate offset rather than uploading new vertices to the GPU every time an animation changes, and you can hack in setblah color support for altering colors in an image without having to deal with image palettes (which Irrlicht does not support).

I just fuckin love HLSL and suck at GLSL but want to learn GLSL.

Wow, this is great. I’m really glad somebody is taking the time to make a better client that could open up a lot more opportunities for the entire community.

I wish the community luck in its future endeavors.

Sorry for my late reply, I just got a chance to glance it over, and while it’s quite different and may take some getting used to, I like it and see much more potential. Nothing should be the same as graal, especially at the cost of reducing robustness and function. I really like AngelScript, it’s functional yet just as easy to learn as Gscript. A split between local and global scene objects would not bother me at all. If you can replace the horrible gani system graal used please do. Different may take some getting used to, but as long as it’s a 2d RPG style system I have no objections to any and all changes in regards to developing with this client system.

I’m currently toying with the idea of having the high bit of the ID variable identify if it is a local or global object, and having an isGlobal function that can be used to test if a scene object is local or global. Maybe even a way of searching for only local objects.

Well, I currently use ganis, although it is a little more advanced (you can use attributes to substitute things in the gani, like sprite, location, etc.) As I said in the OP, I may try to add support for Spriter (paid tool). Does anybody know of any free “animation” type programs that can be used? I would consider implementing support for them if there are any.

Well it just so happens one of my companies has an animation tool as it’s flagship product (including a C++/OpenGL reference library to load the animated model).
A version of the library ported to Irrlicht which is about 99% complete is also available if it helps?

http://public.sanguinelabs.co.uk/expose/product.php?id=wastudio

Whilst a 2D version is only about 50% complete (for one of my own projects), the 3D version could be “tricked” into loading 2D models (Z value=0). So if you could get your 2D sprites loading and displaying fine in blender, this tool could then take it from there and animate it and export the “.anm” files with the correct translations, rotations, etc…

Let me know if this could at all help and I will be happy to hand out a complimentary copy lol.

I will also let you know once the 2D version nears completion, I have some really nifty ideas planned for it.

i just hope this project wont die.

I hope you don’t die sweety. xx

Well, I got my ID and level loading changes finally committed.

I’m trying to figure out what I should do next. I want to add some sort of built-in loading screen. If you try to switch to a level that hasn’t finished background loading yet, I want to inform the player somehow. I don’t know how I want to do it; any suggestions? Fading to black, a wipe effect, a progress bar, a “Loading” text in the bottom corner, etc?

Also, should I start work on the MP server now, or should I first create a Graal gametype package?

Go for the MP server, it’ll excite people alot more seeing the multiplayer aspect being developed. As for the loading I think a progress bar in the bottom corner of the screen would be a neat indicater that the level is still loading.

I always did think some sort of fade to black + loading screen was missing for Graal. I was thinking of implementing it to my server if I could ever get off my ass and work with it. lol

anyway DO IT

I wonder if there is a way to allow scriptable loading sequences that would allow people to create their own level transitions. This is probably something for the future, though. In the meantime, I’m thinking about working a tiny bit on a Graal like package so people would at least be able to do something when I get the MP server up.

Yes please!