spooon thinks we're boring

As I said, it would be quite feasible to use something like Unity. Not only can you create scene components with both 2d and 3d capabilities, but you can also script editor components such that you could create the gani editor we’re familar with for graal. Networking can also be made surprisingly simple.

I don’t want to learn a new engine… But anyways id still stay.
My 2 cents is are we all into game makiing? What intereat you guys about game making…? Why are you sticking around?
My opinion is simple, I still enjoy graal as an intsrmitent hobby.
Typos and approx langage: im using my tiny phone keyboard.

As for layered levels Tiled is a good and easy level editor.
Tmx levels should be easy enough to translate.
If we’re ever to migrate tmx levels is the best bet.

Good question, I don’t know why I’m still hanging around, I have a job and not a lot of free time any more. I’m just hoping someone makes something decent I can play that is reminiscent of my early gaming days.

I stick around cuz I like you guys, simple enough
It’s not like I’m waiting around for the moment my most embarrassing years are wiped off the internet or anything.

As for game making, I want to try some more abstract ideas with Graal, but if we’re not gonna do Graal it ruins the novelty of the ideas I have. Graal was a fun thing for people to make minigames and little events for. I don’t see why it should just die because the engine is old and decrepit. Is it really that hard to make a new engine? What do we have to do? Even instructions for Unity would be a start. I have no clue what any of you guys are thinking, ever.

You can read codr’s thread to get more information on what kind of work a new engine is. It’s not like we can feed a computer jedi mind tricks like “put everything in a window”. Just that simple part requires effort. Then we have to get a picture, then we’d need it to be scrollable when you move the player around… and bind key presses to actions.
That’s as far as I’ve got personally.

Then we’d need to have it load level files (that’s harder than it seems). For you to be able to tinker with the new engine we have lots more stuff to do. The script interpreter… or internet connectivity, stuff I still am yet to understand. I’ve explained the easiest part… (“boilerplate”), a computer program gets increasingly complex as we add features, every part of it needs to fit with one another… and we need a lot of features.

Personally, I know that if I was to start creating a new engine I would probably repeatedly discover that I made design mistakes and have to rewrite big chunks.

Codr’s thread:
https://graal.in/forum/general/general-talk/7358-client-progress

Why so quiet? I’ve answered your question, was it clear enough?

There’s nothing really to say, other than “lol yeah I know. I read his thread before coming in here, and I’m quite aware you can’t just wave a wand like in Harry Potter to make everything come in place”.

You guys want to do something, but it can’t involve you guys too heavily for whatever reason. It just feels like Graal has turned into a car accident where everyone is too busy saying “I wish I could help” instead of realizing there’s really nothing you can do and walk away. I’m not really sure what the problem is. If you’re waiting for something to happen, it’s not gonna unless someone does something. Because nobody does anything except shitpost, nothing will happen. I’m not particularly upset with that result.

I would try if I had chances succeeding. I’m not sure though of why codr didn’t release his part of the work.
I think it must have been work hard enough he wanted to keep it proprietary.

Game monkey? We could migrate to that too if i’m not wrong about the name.

If you wanted, I could help you with planning an architecture, but you’re quite right in regards to boilerplate code, it would be very much a piece by piece project which should be carefully thought out.

I’d very much like to have your help. I’ve got that new computer I have no real use for so far. That could be the answer. Yes, sounds good.
I’ll have a serious decision in the beginning of April.

I’m in a similar position, I have a software engineering I have no real use for so far. Twinsies!

I’m starting to believe that making a top down action rpg template for unity could be a profitable idea.

do it then

I’ll stay put until april but seeking tricxta’s advice for now.

BORING

I think Spooon is boring.

yeah spooon is a pretty boring guy tbh fam

Sorry tricxta, just realised that was your idea to which I added.a theme.
Well good idea. Very good idea.

Edit:
I had not read the first page extensively enough.

I think the same principles of graal presented directly to game makers as a game template could get popular enough.

Edit
Sorry i repeated myself.