What do you guys work or study in..?

[USER=“10627”]2ndwolf[/USER] , hopefully my story will help you.

I’m 18 years old right now.
I started to learn how to program when I was 13 years old. I was shit back then, but after school i always came back home to keep learning. I even read books during boring classes at school (if someone tells you that school is important, he’s wrong. School helps you, but there are classes that at some extent doesn’t. For instance literature was not important for me, nor helped me), and I sometimes preffered to make programming projects than do homework. Everyone told me that I would not enter a good university or get a good job with my grades, but guess what? When I was 17 i participated on a contest organized by the Harvard University and Facebook. I won (First worldwide CS50 Puzzle day: https://medium.com/@cs50/this-was-cs50x-puzzle-day-2016-1b1519b77353 ).
When I was on senior year of high school I received a full scholarship by the MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) to attend the 4th class of the Global Entrepreneurship Bootcamp (http://bootcamp.mit.edu/), but in the end I couldn’t due to VISA. I didn’t have enough proofs of attatchment to my country (I was on last year of high school. My theory is that they thought that I would stay to live at the US).
Opportunites come, opportunities go.

Anyway I started making money when I was 15-16 years old, doing freelancing online (promoting myself on linkedin, freelancer.com, upwork.com, etc). it was really great. I did not earn much money, but it was really fun. I started to feel how it was to be rewarded for hard work. And when I started senior year of high school I received a phone call from a person speaking english (I live in Ecuador. A spanish speaking country at south america). It was an american businessman who recently opened offices at my country and was seeking for programmers. I was not searching for a job… heck I was still at school. But he saw all my projects online, he saw my CV (resum

My post got cut. Weird.
Anywho, he saw my CV, my online presence, etc and he made me a good offer to work half-time after school. Time has passed and now I work full-time there.Without having any university degree, I earn more money than a great quantity of professionals that have been working for a while on my country,

And I have a full scholarship to attend on a University here. I plan to study here (I cannot lose the opportunity of free college), and later apply for a masters on a worldwide prestigious one.

I feel both lucky, and blessed.

I wish you the best of luck, and remember that hard word eventually rewards.

Sounds a lot like my story, minus all the amazing achievements you got from those prestigious institutions. The way I see it, and you may disagree with me, is that school is extremely important if your end goal is to immerse yourself with knowledge and stretch your intellectual capabilities. I might not really care about some of my classes (biology, spanish…), but in the end, being exposed to different kinds of materials and being forced to learn them does two very important things to your brain:
(1) It teaches you how to “put in the work”, even when you feel that the content you’re learning is useless or unnecessary.
(2) Learning things about the world in general makes you more cultured, it improves your memory, and it generally can lead to a better work ethic and better opportunities in terms of job prospects.

There are also elements of school that do not directly pertain to education, such as social interactions, extracurriculars and activities, sports… that are all extremely beneficial in one way or another.

That being said, I also started to learn how to program when I was about 13 years old and, just like you, I’d often come back home to neglect my school work and pursue programming projects or learn as much as I could about programming in general.

I applied as a Computer Science major to all my schools except one, where I opted for Information Science mainly because the acceptance rate to that specific program at that school is slightly more reasonable, and there’s a very slim chance I’ll get in anyhow. If you’re wondering why I chose to include such trivial detail, it’s mainly just to show you that I put a large emphasis on the quality of my education. I feel very bad for the students who haven’t had the opportunities that I’ve had, to be taught by teachers who truly care about their respective fields. The same holds true for the college or university one should attend. While community college is definitely not a terrible option, especially financially, deny it all you want but you’re not going to get the same quality of education that you’d get at a state school, for example. Not only that, but a degree from a state school or even a private school > degree from a community college in the eyes of virtually any employer.

However, if you simply don’t have the means to pay for it and don’t want to pin yourself down for the rest of your life with dreaded student loans, then obviously cc is a viable option. Don’t undermine the importance of a formal education.

There are what are called nano degrees which are endorsed by google which will allow you to get certified in specific languages.
https://www.udacity.com/nanodegree

There is a site that does job placements for it’s graduates. The requirement is a upfront fee that they will give back if you do not find a job as well as you need to physically attend the class no online ability.
https://www.codefellows.org/#about

There are free online course to learning programming as well.
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/sites-t…coding-online/

I think if this was 4 or 5 years ago online degree would of been less acceptable for for bigger corporations jobs now a days I don’t think that’s the case. I think a college education is fine if it makes sense the bottom line is at least in america education is a business and your time is not free and I’d hate for a person waste it away on a 4 year degree when there are other more direct avenues to achieving the same objective. There is no guarantee that you going to 4 years for computer science degree will lead to you finding a job when you attain the degree, maybe most IT jobs are in short supply for whatever the reason and it would of been better to get a engineering degree. The way I look at life is it’s a game, and you’re essentially gambling when you dedicate your time to learn a trade hoping that the odds will be in your favor that you’ll win out.

At the end of the day your experience in said field trumps a degree any time of the day mainly because most smart employers are not going to ignore something that’s proven themselves as opposed to not really proven themsevles within the real world yet they have a degree in it. I will agree that going to Harvard or Yale will get you put on the top of the pile for employers yet do you really receive a better education from these places as compared to you teaching yourself/learning from a variety of websites? Essentially you are buying their brand name when you go to Yale or Harvard when it comes to employers perception and if this is the case is it really worth the money and time to purchase said brand that could be achieved in a more direct route. Not saying degrees are worthless and I don’t want hate for that because I’m not saying that at all however I wanted to present a very real world perspective on things. Just saying…

At that there is nothing wrong working blue collar jobs as well. If you don’t really know what you want to do in life learning a needed trade is always good. There is a website that will show you blue collar trades that you can learn in a few weeks and earn decent coin in. The younger generation seems to hate blue collar trades but again it’s not a forever thing more of a if your life is in limbo you should seek this out till you find out what you want to do or a way to fund something that you’d like to do full time.

back to 2nd wolf
webdesign is a good basic remote job in IT, as well as app development.

Cool, I’ve been aware for a moment that self taught programmation was accepted by employers and you’re validating that.

I’ll take that into consideration, it might be a good part time job to take if I’m to study to get a degree in whatever else. I’m also considering doing researches as a university employee as I’ve been told by the counselor that I have good enough academic capabilities. Therefore I don’t think studying is always time lost but I catch your vibe. I’ve believed for a good while that going to class was worthless and a stupid way to prove you’re willing to do something, as a more radical version of your thinking. I will also keep in mind that time is THE important ressource, as I fully agree.

I’ve been working in IT coming up to four years, and 2.5 years as a retail computer technician before that. I have no degrees or diplomas beyond my high school one, and I have two certifications: A+ and ITIL-F. I’ve done hardware repair, software troubleshooting, printer/MFP deployment and minor repair with my Ricoh Core Basics certification, and now I am working with print/fax/scan software solutions for clients.

I live cheque to cheque mostly because I have terrible spending habits, but for a single bachelor with cheap rent, I make a decent wage.

Just keep in mind there is nothing wrong working blue collar jobs as well. Young people seem to see blue collar jobs as lowly positions but I see nothing wrong with them. If you change your perspective on things blue collar jobs are like a stepping stone to other things. Hypothetically speaking you work a job for 4 years lets say your making between 30-50 thousands dollars a year. Lets say you save like crazy you can take that money and invest into into what are called slow accum funds which within a year will grow in interest that you can live off the interest of those investments for the rest of your life without having a job as long as you do not go over amount gained. This isn’t accounting for a lot of things but this could fund you for whatever you want to do in your life. Most people would not be disciplined enough to do this, because most spend what they have.

There is more than one way to make a living in life.

Honestly, I disagree pretty heavily with this statement. You can’t really get a decent paying job related to computers unless you have a four year degree in the US. Most employers don’t take you seriously, and will heavily cut your pay simply because you don’t have the degree. You qualifications don’t matter at all to them if you don’t have one. Yeah, you can get lucky, but why risk it?

This of course is different if you’re older, as you’ve been in the field for so long, and have the possibility of having held a well paying job that taught you a lot before it was important to have a degree in CS. More and more, a degree in the field is becoming a requirement to even be considered for the position.

Point is, if you have the opportunity to go to college without accumulating massive amounts of debt, why not take it? I’ve learned a lot of useful information in school that I constantly use when programming, and learned it quite fast.

This. This is why I work for myself… I skipped the whole college thing and went straight into business for myself. I was lucky and worked for DirecTV for a while as a District Manager but I wasn’t able to go corporate when AT&T bought DirecTV because I did not have my degree, which left me unemployed. Go for the degree, you will regret not doing it. Trust me on that! I’d love to work for a company making 65k+ a year but I am forced to work on my own… Not that bad of a gig but it’d be nice for a stable employment type of job.

I buy broken laptops off eBay, fix them and resell them. Making roughly 55k a year from it… But the sales aren’t always constant and that goes back to it being nice to have a steady job.

Every place i interviewed at ended up making me an offer. College did that for me.

Didn’t mean to make people upset. Just my experienced perspective in IT.

College told me I wasn’t good enough for it. So I did it on my own. Like a boss. :stuck_out_tongue: Except I’m just a lowly technician hahaha

I got rejected by Cornell yesterday. My best friend got into the Engineering school. We had astonishingly similar grades; he had legacy.
Today, four kids in my classes got accepted to UPenn and another two got accepted to Stanford. A total of 10 kids got accepted to Ivies at my school and applications still aren’t over until mid-January.

Statistically, those people will probably make more than I will…but what would really cost me is the price I’ll pay if I decide not to attend college at all.
Kondie is correct. While it is fair to assume that one might get lucky, that is most often not the case.

You could be smart and highly skilled in your field and still be stuck in a position without work because of the widespread emphasis on degrees and merits by employers to even be considered for a position.

I also happen to agree with Coat in that their are multiple ways for one to succeed (whatever one’s definition of success may include), and that their is no shame involved in doing blue-collar work.

Ultimately, once you are able to get past that threshold of a livable wage, work should be about doing what you enjoy the most, and a college degree is ultimately what puts people above that initial threshold. It may also serve as a Plan B for some people. A degree can often be something to fall back on when your primary goals fail and keep you from having to scramble for any low-wage job that you can get your hands on.

Simple stuff, but sometimes people forget just how important simple choices like these can impact their lives.

I don’t think anybody was upset. Seems like we’re all just voicing opinions here. I’m honestly enjoying the different perspectives.

That’s the thing college degree’s are probably required for lots of jobs but you can still be sucessful without one depending on what you are willing to do and your skillset. There are self made millionaires who never had any formal education but maybe had the right idea in the right place at the right time and were willing to roll up their sleeves and work hard to achieve their goals. There are also people working at McDonald’s who went to school for a 4 year degree only to graduate and realize that said degree did not gaurentee a job.

I do metalwork, mostly residential ornamental fabrications. Sometimes we get commercial work from clients as well. Welding, grinding, cutting, painting all that stuff. I went to uni for 2 years but realized I was too dumb for that shit, lol. So I said fuck it, my dad told me if I ever wanted to work with him I just had to get my welding license. Went and got it, learning everything else was easy (grinding, cutting and painting is ‘helper’ stuff) and I make pretty good money honestly.

I’m a professional shitposter. I work mostly at youtube and reddit raging people, leftists are my favorite but sometimes I pretend to love hillary clinton and rage trump supporters too. doesn’t pay anything, but the satisfaction is worth it.