emacs

They say it can be used like a terminal… I’ve even read I could use it to play music and like… do everything from it. I’m wondering, if anyone knows, is it more from a programmer poweruser’s perspective or is it really true?

I’m, of course, also considering Vim… which I’ll probably choose… I just want a text editing powertool. But they make emacs sound enticing.

https://www.visualstudio.com/

why use an emac for programming when you can do this?

that’s an iMac though

I use ultra edit outside the terminal otherwise it’s vim

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

I don’t know visual studio as a text editor, but I’ll take a look at it, it’s already on my computer… as a programmer’s tool I already use jEdit and its very useful search and replace through a whole folder of text files. I really don’t need an IDE, I need something that will help editing text files and do things like add together X numbers appearing at X places or remove newline characters all at once… stuff I’ve seen emacs do, but from what I’ve read it’s intense… so maybe vim?

I’ll take a look at ultra edit. tnx

Wow, ultra edit looks awesome. But I think I’ll go with emacs… it seems I want other things to do what emacs does. I can probably set aside its shell capabilities.

Yeah, for just individual files outside of project types Visual Studio supports, it wouldn’t make sense. I use UltraEdit as well.

UE for life

Trying to use emacs for gscripting with the deprecated javascript syntax highlighting.
So far it kind of works and I can see why I’ve read emacs is like flying through code…
I’ve also made a regular expression search and replace, backslashes need to be escaped to be understood as part of the regex, which is weird amd unintuitive.

If beating the learning curve makes emacs better then I’ll be more than happy with it, there’s even a multi cursor plugin!
10/10

Edit:
There’s even an interactive regular expression builder mode, it highlights live what your regex matches… as a fan of regular expressions, this alone is enough to choose to learn and use emacs.

Edit:
Already am more efficient!