Free(beer) to try Windows, with a free (beer) Visual Studio

Today, I installed Windows 2013 (preview) 32 bits (thinks it help to run old applications) on my computer.
Well, had to erased Linux because I was using a GPT partition table, and this is not a UEFI computer.
Also, had problem because my old DVD-RW was crappy.

Anyway, seems ok. That’s for testing only.

After that, I downloaded Visual Studio 2013 Community… I just launch it for the first time.
That seems to be free for a single developer… or for doing open-source project for an organization.

So I guess I now will very soon have the tools to test the code we have up to now.

Oh, except maybe for the game itself. :slight_smile:

___Merged doublepost__________________

I thought it would be like magic, that I would open the solution file, and that it would build without errors… but I get about 100 (first one):
Restoring NuGet packages…
To prevent NuGet from restoring packages during build, open the Visual Studio Options dialog, click on the Package Manager node and uncheck ‘Allow NuGet to download missing packages during build.’
1>------ Build started: Project: OpenGraal.Common, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1492,5): warning : The referenced project ‘…\…\…\opengraal.common.interfaces-cs\trunk\OpenGraal.Common.Interfaces\OpenGraal.Common.Interfaces.csproj’ does not exist.
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1492,5): warning : The referenced project ‘…\…\…\opengraal.core-cs\trunk\OpenGraal.Core\OpenGraal.Core.csproj’ does not exist.
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1697,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly “ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib”. Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1697,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly “ClearScript”. Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.
1>C:\Users\Paul\OpenGraal.Common-cs\OpenGraal.Common\Animations\Animation.cs(9,17,9,21): error CS0234: The type or namespace name ‘Core’ does not exist in the namespace ‘OpenGraal’ (are you missing an assembly reference?)
1>C:\Users\Paul\OpenGraal.Common-cs\OpenGraal.Common\Animations\Sprite.cs(5,17,5,21): error CS0234: The type or namespace name ‘Core’ does not exist in the namespace ‘OpenGraal’ (are you missing an assembly reference?)
1>C:\Users\Paul\OpenGraal.Common-cs\OpenGraal.Common\Levels\GraalLevel.cs(8,17,8,21): error CS0234: The type or namespace name ‘Core’ does not exist in the namespace ‘OpenGraal’ (are you missing an assembly reference?)
1>C:\Users\Paul\OpenGraal.Common-cs\OpenGraal.Common\Levels\GraalLevelTileList.cs(7,17,7,21): error CS0234: The type or namespace name ‘Core’ does not exist in the namespace ‘OpenGraal’ (are you missing an assembly reference?)
1>C:\Users\Paul\OpenGraal.Common-cs\OpenGraal.Common\Levels\GraalLevelTile.cs(6,17,6,21): error CS0234: The type or namespace name ‘Core’ does not exist in the namespace ‘OpenGraal’ (are you missing an assembly reference?)
1>C:\Users\Paul\OpenGraal.Common-cs\OpenGraal.Common\Levels\GraalLevelNPC.cs(4,17,4,21): error CS0234: The type or namespace name ‘Core’ does not exist in the namespace ‘OpenGraal’ (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Guess I need to begin with Core:
Restoring NuGet packages…
To prevent NuGet from restoring packages during build, open the Visual Studio Options dialog, click on the Package Manager node and uncheck ‘Allow NuGet to download missing packages during build.’
1>------ Build started: Project: OpenGraal.Core, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1697,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly “MonoDevelop.Deployment, Version=2.6.0.0, Culture=neutral”. Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1697,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly “MonoDevelop.Deployment.Linux, Version=2.6.0.0, Culture=neutral”. Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1697,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly “MonoDevelop.GtkCore, Version=2.6.0.0, Culture=neutral”. Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1697,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly “ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib”. Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.
1>C:\Users\Paul\OpenGraal.Core-cs\OpenGraal.Core\CString.cs(13,7,13,18): error CS0246: The type or namespace name ‘ICSharpCode’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
1>C:\Users\Paul\OpenGraal.Core-cs\OpenGraal.Core\CString.cs(14,7,14,18): error CS0246: The type or namespace name ‘ICSharpCode’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
1>C:\Users\Paul\OpenGraal.Core-cs\OpenGraal.Core\CString.cs(15,7,15,18): error CS0246: The type or namespace name ‘ICSharpCode’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
1>C:\Users\Paul\OpenGraal.Core-cs\OpenGraal.Core\Encryption.cs(5,7,5,18): error CS0246: The type or namespace name ‘ICSharpCode’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
1>C:\Users\Paul\OpenGraal.Core-cs\OpenGraal.Core\Encryption.cs(6,7,6,18): error CS0246: The type or namespace name ‘ICSharpCode’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
1>C:\Users\Paul\OpenGraal.Core-cs\OpenGraal.Core\Encryption.cs(7,7,7,18): error CS0246: The type or namespace name ‘ICSharpCode’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Yup. You gotta do a little more work to set up your environment. I had to change a ton of paths before I could build anything using opengraal shit. I also had to download a couple libraries.

Pretty sure the OpenGraal C# code is mainly setup to use MonoDevelop so it might be a bit of a pain to get it set up, It’s possible though.

Up to now I was able to configure Visual Studio 2013 Community to compile icsharpcode-SharpZipLib-9478d50.
For NUnit, I installed it with nugget (Visual Studio did the git part to download it, and just asked me to push the install button).

But while importing the 2010 solution file, it breaks it a little bit.
Output directory had become …\…\…\…\…\…\ so much that it tried to build in \ and did not receive permission from Windows to do so.
Also had to specify some basic dependencies to inner projects.

So except for warning about properties that don’s seems to exist, as soon each project is able to output to some directories (no need to be the same), the full solution seem to build without errors.

Guess I will be able to begin to work on OpenGraal code now.

Looks like Compress, Decompress have changed a little bit to add an True/False value to say if Input and Output streams should be closed when finished.

I also get some 100 warnings internal to Visual Studio properties.
I suppose if I want clean solution file, I have to drop the old 2010 solution and do my own.

___Merged doublepost__________________

Just an example warning:
Warning 65 The element ‘PropertyGroup’ in namespace ‘http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003’ has invalid child element ‘PreBuildEventDependsOn’ in namespace ‘http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003’. List of possible elements expected: 'Property, AllowUnsafeBlocks, AppConfigForCompiler, ApplicationIcon, ApplicationRevision, ApplicationVersion, AppDesignerFolder, AspNetConfiguration, AssemblyKeyContainerName, AssemblyKeyProviderName, AssemblyName, AssemblyOriginatorKeyFile, AssemblyOriginatorKeyFileType, AssemblyOriginatorKeyMode, AssemblyType, AutoGenerateBindingRedirects, AutorunEnabled, BaseAddress, BootstrapperComponentsLocation, BootstrapperComponentsUrl, BootstrapperEnabled, CharacterSet, CheckForOverflowUnderflow, CLRSupport, UseDebugLibraries, CodePage, Configuration, ConfigurationName, ConfigurationOverrideFile, CreateDesktopShortcut, CreateWebPageOnPublish, CurrentSolutionConfigurationContents, DebugSecurityZoneURL, DebugSymbols, DebugType, DefaultClientScript, DefaultHTMLPageLayout, DefaultTargetSchema, DefineConstants, DefineDebug, DefineTrace, DelaySign, DisableLangXtns, DisallowUrlActivation, CodeAnalysisAdditionalOptions, CodeAnalysisApplyLogFileXsl, CodeAnalysisConsoleXsl, CodeAnalysisCulture, CodeAnalysisFailOnMissingRule… C:\Program Files\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets 1124 6 Miscellaneous Files

Yeah, building my own solution was not as hard I thought:
1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: ICSharpCode.SharpZLib, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
1> ICSharpCode.SharpZLib -> C:\Users\Paul\Documents\OpenGraal\icsharpcode-SharpZipLib-9478d50\icsharpcode-SharpZipLib-9478d50\bin\ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll
2>------ Rebuild All started: Project: Project1, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
2>C:\Users\Paul\Documents\OpenGraal\OpenGraal.Core-cs\Project1\CSocket.cs(119,35,119,36): warning CS0168: The variable ‘e’ is declared but never used
2>C:\Users\Paul\Documents\OpenGraal\OpenGraal.Core-cs\Project1\CString.cs(274,21,274,22): warning CS0168: The variable ‘e’ is declared but never used
2>C:\Users\Paul\Documents\OpenGraal\OpenGraal.Core-cs\Project1\CString.cs(380,21,380,22): warning CS0168: The variable ‘e’ is declared but never used
2>C:\Users\Paul\Documents\OpenGraal\OpenGraal.Core-cs\Project1\Helper.cs(65,5,65,8): error CS0165: Use of unassigned local variable ‘str’
========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

I like how the repo provides a broken copy of opengraal code. Very nicely done.

Finally was able to compile NpcServerCs.
Which give:

Well, what do I do now? :noob:

Edit1: And the Editor too, which does more interesting stuff!

Edit2: My changes have been pushed in my personal repos:
https://github.com/dufresnep?tab=repositories