Nostalgia Realms Update - September 9th, 2018

Hi there, I’ve been working on polishing up the alpha version of the level editor to be used for public consumption. Meanwhile, I’ve also been working on optimizations for the client, including efficient object culling (rendering only what should be visible) in the Kha/Vulkan renderer, using highly efficient binary space partitioning trees both on the client and streaming level data from the server.

This is one of several steps to have instantaneous multi-threaded open world streaming of cells (think Skyrim, Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild, etc.) with a z-axis and different heights/layers. This is one of many techniques I’ve been borrowing from 3D game renderers which open many possibilities for game ideas.

For example, one idea I thought would be cool is to have a server with a large ocean, islands, and ships where you can ride with your friends to travel between them, capture islands, and have ship/pirate combat PvP/PvE.

I’m also working on setting up a Discord server. Be sure to join if you want to be in the alpha test group to help test the client/server/level editor early: Discord

I made an example with a highly limited camera viewport render so you can see what’s going on:

Link

Forum post: http://nostalgiarealms.com/d/6-nostalgia-realms-update-september-9th-2018

1 Like