Organisation of the repositories hierarchy

I am beginning to learn about solution files and project files.

That said, I disagree with current organisation.
Mostly because each repositories have it’s own solution file.

Solution files contains Projects.
It’s a bit confusing, but we should have less solutions, than projects.
I tend to think one solution file, by zip file I want to distribute.

We have one solution OpenGraal, and so we should have a single solution file.
Oh well, maybe we have GServer solution, OpenGraal.NPCServer-v1 solution, but we sure does not have a OpenGraal-Core solution.
Now, because Github, make us have many repositories, it means we need a special repositories, just to store our solutions.

Now about solution file: like .csproj file.
I believe it should be at the root of each repository… which is not the case right now.
I guess it should be vs2013.csproj … because it seems to be very linked to the VisualStudio version.
So might have one for each major version.

So, I propose:
MyDirectory[LIST]
[] OpenGraal.Projects
[
] OpenGraal.Core-cs
[] OpenGraal.Common
[
] Gserver-v2
[/LIST]

where OpenGraal.Projects does just conains only solution files for each “project” (english-sense) (and maybe for each version of Visual Studio).
MyDirectory, is created by each developer on his own computer, and he may choose whatever name he want.

Why don’t you create a new repo, organize it how you want it, and then show us the results.

I am kind of unsure, if as a patcher I can create new repositories.
Beside, thinking a bit more… well just using a (or a new) .sln file in OpenGraal.NpcServer-cs and avoiding touching others might be enough.
Indeed, I should write less and do more. :wink:

You will have to create a repo under your own account. Not opengraal’s

Yeah, just realized I am a patcher for 0 repositries.
It might be better that way. :wink:

Also you might want to switch to the mono develop IDE so the opengraal project can maintain its cross platform stuff.

You means I am loosing my time since yesterday, trying to learn Visual Studio way of doing things? :wink:

Ok, installed Xamarin Studio:
Xamarin Studio
Version 5.8.1 (build 8)
Installation UUID: 98f47285-7b67-4209-b968-3ec9e119e33a
Runtime:
Microsoft .NET 4.0.30319.0
GTK+ 2.24.22 (MS-Windows theme)
GTK# 2.12.26

Xamarin.Android
Not Installed

Xamarin Android Player
Not Installed

Build Information
Release ID: 508010008
Git revision: f8e52bf493869b6a320a95400553dc9ea8b7ef22
Build date: 2015-03-13 13:41:50-04
Xamarin addins: 84d611cc17567a68daad719327e90af06d2ae327

Operating System
Windows 6.2.9200.0

Was able to create the GTK Window template fine!

Oh wait… that’s not really .NET 4.5 but just 4.0?
Maybe I need to install 4.5 … thought I had it with Windows 10 preview.
Edit: .NET Framework 4.5.2 or a later update is already installed on this computer.

You can use visual studio, but then you risk having Microsoft inserting non mono code.

Why do you post random information like this constantly? I’m honestly curious.

It’s a cultural thing. He is assuming a non threatening position by dumping computer specs. Kinda like emptying your pockets to show you hold no weapons.

Well, I thought that it was that by giving more info than needed, you have to spend more time reading what I write, and so in the end, I have received more attention from you.

Oh I was way off

When I am not drawing extraordinary pixel art images, I am trying to understand how to organise C# code.

And I am realizing how much I don’t know or was not knowing how Visual Studio organize code.
I will try to summarize what I learned here. Of course if you knew, you are loosing your time.
And if you did not knew, that’s because you don’t need to know, so anyways, you will loose your time…

A project file, knows what to compile to produce result: a console application, or a graphical application,
or a .dll file containing code shared among projects.

A solution file, list the links to projects files that are needed to build your thing.
So basically you need one local project file in the project directory to build your thing.
And you need links to projects files that will produce the dll needed by your … thing.
To repeat myself, they will be linked-to in the solution file for building your project.

Visual Studio, will give you the feeling that linked projects files are inside your own directory, but that
is an illusion. Unless you have been added .cs file to your projects, then they are copied in the project
directory, but that does not seems a good idea, as that now you will have two handle changes to two files with
the same content. If you add a file, in the linked project file, you are adding it in the linked directory,
not in your project directory*

I maintain that projects files from MonoDevelop are a bit wrong, not respecting the xml schema it says
it obeys, giving warning in Visual Studio. Things like Visual Designer are defined in that, that Visual
Studio will not know what to do with.

So it is a really good idea I think, to clearly write VS2013 in the name of projects file generated by VS.
And MD2013? for projects file generated by MonoDevelop (Xamarin Studio), and avoid mixing them.

So for me, the surprise is how much everywhere dll are in Mono (I think they are dll too in Linux,
which normaly have .so file for what Windows call dll).

hey fuck u man Zartox is the best artist of the century show some respekt

I was asking myself why, when adding reference, solution was empty.
That’s because, first you have to File/Add/Existing Project. (For add to be there, you have to have a solution open)
Then you may Project/Add Reference… Solution.
At this point you can use fully qualified code to class, types in the added project.
But to avoid fully qualified names, you add using statements.