I’m messing with an idea for a sandbox game, and I was hoping for some input from gamers. I couldn’t think of a better place to ask than GR. What I was wondering is, for those who play sandbox games, what are your favorite features? What do you enjoy doing most, what do you think are the coolest aspects, what do you think would be cool in a sandbox game that you haven’t seen yet? I’m contemplating starting a prototype of an idea I have forming in my head and I’d love to get others’ opinions on what they look for in a sandbox game.
What’s your definition of a sandbox game?
sweet scripting options
I’m talking fancy stuff. Full gfx manipulation.
I’m talking Graal.
To me and up until “sandbox games” started being defined, it was a hard to define genre of game.
Who remembers Body Harvest? That was a cool “sandbox game”.
Now it seems sandbox gaming is about being able to go around aimlessly, having lots of gun options/lots of cars, lots of combinations. It’s the fact you’re defining your own game that makes it sandboxy.
The programmer’s definition of sandboxing, testing in a safe environment that won’t harm your computer, is more what I had in mind when I first read you. I was seeing a game where making a game is the game. A game with an environment made for trying out game ideas. That’s cool and fun and if it’s sandboxy enough to you, these are my favorite features. 2Dness, for the lack of overcomplicated shit comes in my list. To me, gta2 was the best gta, cuz it was in 2d. But no guns, guns are an annoyance in gaming, overused, overhyped. Guns is the easy way out to the lazy developer’s mind. What else… no cops, no law system, these are no fun.
What about a magical world where law is uncommon and you have a time travelling machine and change stuff around in time and it impacts the future. And, like, you can meet Jesus, Moses and co. and learn magic tricks from these guys. Go through time and eat a banana in brazil while riding a dragon. Make a shark grow legs and have a dog hump it. Go build a colony on a far away planet while reading The Infinite Jest. Mate a cat with a dog and call it a catog. Become as big as a quark, meet quark-people, teach them all about nukes and make them start a war so matter explodes randomly and people go what the fuck. Buy gems, lots of gems.
Yeah, that’s the game I had in mind.
What game? Minecraft?
Minecraft does all of that!?