Sending new ganis to the client

I have several ganis that I put in the /world/gani folder. Folderconfig is setup to recognize that folder and when I use the RC command /find *.gani the ganis I added are listed by the server. So why wont they work in the client? Is there a special way to force the server to send the new ganis to the client?

well i always restart the client and server to make it work
i guess you need to have an npc to call those ganis to use
otherwise they won’t work
it’s just a theory

That’s just excessively excessive.

This is driving me nuts

This problem is persisting and its not limited to gani files. I have been having issues getting new .png and .gif files to be sent to the client as well. What makes this exceedingly frustrating is I am using multiple servers for development and a given .png file might load on one server but not on another.

Each server has it’s own directory with its own folders configuration. The foldersconfig is setup correctly because other images of the same type load correctly.

Example:
Server A has all .png, .gif and .mng files in /world/images
Server B has all .png files in /world/artpng ; .gif files in /world/artgif ; etc…
both servers have ganis in /world/ganis

Server A has foldersconfig entries:
file ganis/.gani
file images/
.png
file images/*.gif
*in addition to other entries not listed for simplicity

Server B has foldersconfig entries:
file ganis/.gani
file artpng/
.png
file artgif/*.gif
*in addition to other entries not listed for simplicity

Images load fine on server B but only some of the images load on server A.

The development process I am using is designed to only copy images from server B to server A as I need them in effort to keep the server less bloated and only containing the files it needs vs. server B has thousands of files of every sort.

What I cant figure out as of yet is why the server will send some files to the client but not others. All files in question are less than 64kb… and some of the exact same files work on Server B but not Server A. Maybe someone could shed some light on what I might be overlooking here?

Update: At the time of this post I had 3 RCs connected, 1 for each server. (Yes I am actually running 3 servers atm but only temporarily.) In addition to this I had a client connected to Server A and Server B. No client on the third server at the time of the issues. I had tried /updatelevelall, /reloadserver, /restartserver RC commands. I even tried Ctrl + C shutting down the gserver altogether and restarting it and still the problem continued. So after making this post, I shutdown everything and decided to take a break. 20 minutes later I fired up the server again because I can never leave anything alone for too long if it bugs the hell out of me like this does and poof! everything loaded perfectly on all servers! How strange is that? I made no changes to the configuration at all. So I dont know what the cause of this issue is but I am almost certain its a nasty bug somewhere in the gserver code.

Update: It seems the images not loading was not a server bug, but a client bug. As long as the client is still loaded, if you add new images to the server they will not show up unless you exit the client completely (kill the process) and relaunch it.

[whispers] filenamecache.txt [/whispers]

care to elaborate?

Filenamecache.txt is stored in the Graal_Reborn folder. It saves file names and byte size for them which means you will have to reconnect to see renamed images or files. Sometimes, it’s nice to clear the filenamecache to get some bugs out of the way.

Okay. What happens is that the client sees a gani and tries to use it. It notices that the gani doesn’t exist. It asks the server for the file. The file doesn’t exist on the server. The server tells the client that the file send failed. The client remembers that the file doesn’t exist on the server. Next, you add the gani to the server. You try to play it in the client. The client still remembers that the server never had the file, so it doesn’t even ask for it again.

So yeah. If you add files to the server, make sure you restart the client, just in case the client already tried to download the file once.