The Chronicles Of Arkasus Online (WIP)

Hey all.

UPDATE! FEB 25/12

I apollogize for the lack of posts and updates. been a slow process. I recently been helping some fellow indie game designers with the GDC this year for the Pirate Kart Challenge. so i had to do some sprite sheets and what not for some rather…ridiculous games. lol but it was to get my name out there for pixel art and other stuff i can do.

Anyways! been working on GUI stuff as of late. the first over world levels and the towns are all complete. still in the process of working on the first dungeon interiors as well as been doing a lot of enemies. Mostly baddie work, because well, as we all know. i am more graphically inclined when it comes to graal stuff haha.

but so far so good. hopefully by the end of next week or so, if i stick to my guns. i will have a test server up. I also will be looking to take on some staff once we figure out the hosting situation we having. Once that is all taken care of, and the main areas are done up.

[B]I will be looking for the following:

• Scripters
  • Level Designers (need roughly 2-3)
  • GFX Designers (need 2)
    [/B]

the main thing is (yeah i know, its like every other server) we need scripters and coders who want to work on the project.

[B]for scripters what we need from you:

• GUI and system support
  • Enemy scripting, as well as bosses
  • spell npcs and projectiles
  • setting events for story based gameplay[/B]

and a whole lot more. The sooner we get scripters working on the project, the quicker beta will be coming out. Of course, we do need each of these areas by next week, All are very important.

and what do you get in return you ask?

well like i told my sound engineers, and other level designers and anyone who helps, you will not only get a spot in the hall of fame (main server point, kind of acts like a hub for news and updates etc) but you will also recieve your own area or land, or house. with a house, of course it can be a fortress, castle, etc.

If you are wanting to build your own land inside this area as well for launch, this can be done as well. But requirements will have to be, a certain amount of quests, some sort of dungeon or cave crawl, a town, some type of back story, etc.

you will also receive your own custom head as well. you can make it, or ask one of the GFX guys to make you one.

You also get a spot on the staff (given you follow the rules of being staff of course, which applies to everyone).

Not to mention, you get to help grow the server, and watch it progress before anyone else gets to see it for beta.

conclusion

This is not going to be another classic server. I want this to be a server with rpg elements, adventure game elements, as well as puzzles, bosses, enemies, crafting, etc. I want it to be a full working game, with LOTS to do. Yes, it will have similar elements to “hanging out” in game, etc. But it will also be more oriented towards an economy system, where players can sell stuff, trade items, craft items to sell, use money to buy property to have a house uploaded to, player runned cities with their own quests and dungeons to run.

If i can get this server up and have the ball rolling with enough content to keep players interested and logging on for more then 30 minutes a day. then we will be golden. This also will bring in player count, having the graal reborn more active and less dead. As well as sparks new players to learn and grow and stay playing and working on building the community. at least that is what i am aiming for.

Just a quick note:

[B]so i have been working pretty extensively the last week or so on this server. i did not want to post anything till i had at least a little bit of content.
i have promoted it on some other zelda fan game boards to give it some hype, as well as on some indie game design boards and engine mod boards as well. So i thought i might as well begin an update thread on the Open Graal Boards.

I will be Continue to update this page and add new content and answer any questions or comments, or suggestions you may have for the future of this server. Why did i choose to make a quest build/action, adventure server?

well for starters, the only one we have is an old outdated server which is the graal classic clone. I thought it would be a cool little hobby project for me to work on and add to as i go. I also wanted to do this project to give some people something to do. As i find a lot of the servers are more steered towards large player counts for them to actually be fully functional on a 24 hour bases.

My plan with this server? Honestly, to give some indepth story, some cut scenes, dungeon crawling aspects, mob hunting for gathering, some cool content to keep players playing, new bosses and feats to overcome. I find a decent amount of content, interest, and holding someones attention is key to marketing games, and holding a solid player base. Reason why a lot of online indie games die is lack of content, updates, and poor game design.

So the answer to the question i have been asked many times, is this: I want to challenge myself to keep on, and constantly add content to this server. As i am not making this for myself, but for everyone.
[/B]
[U]

Facebook support:[/U]

your support and likes help me, and by sharing this page, you also help get the word out when the beta test is up and going! so go to the page and like it. and check it out! its a game a i am currently developing. please read below for features and screen shots. thanks in advance!
this is also roleplay friendly as well.

this is a freeware game, and somewhat of a fan game. we do have original composers working on sounds, music, ambience etc. as well as graphic artists working on new tilesets, sprites, a new GUI, bosses, enemies items, weapons etc. though old zelda graphics are being used, keep in mind this is somewhat of a fan game, but completely different story. it takes place in the world of Hyrule, same realm. same currency. etc. but this is an entirely different area of the world. the world of Arkasus. just thought i should clarify.

http://www.facebook.com/chroniclesofarkasus

UPDATE! Feb 14, 2012

The Corrupt wells of The Mayai Temple. Only the brave will best the evil forces at work, soiling the pure waters of the Mayai Temple. enter the deep dungeons of the Aqueduct, to find the source of the evil presence that lurks deep below the temple!
Only the strong will survive the deep aquatic dangers that lay below the channels of the pure waters of this first temple.

This is the first dungeon players will encounter. Testing the limits of the true players, before being released into the open lands of Arkasus!

[SIZE=8]The Chronicles Of Arkasus[/SIZE]

Staff List :

Founder

• Pixelghost (also doing GFX, Level design, dungeon design, overworld design, story weaving, animation, GUI, HUD, inventory screens, etc)

Sound Engineering

• Famine (composer, musician, ambience, sound effects)

http://soundcloud.com/famine/famine-fieri-tinea

• Gaston (composer, musician, ambience, sound effects)

If you would like to help on this project, please see bottom of post for what we are looking for…which is basically everything in another couple of weeks or so. thanks.
~ Pixelghost

The Game Promo (For the Graal Unfamiliar and Alike)

Chronicles Of Arkasus is an FREE online game being developed, And is still in early stages of development, please stay tuned for announcements of beta release. As well as check back for videos, photos. Like us and follow the process!

To sum up Chronicles Of Arkasus, it would take an awfully long time. so i will list the features already implemented along with what will be there 100% soon, as well as what we will be adding in the future.

FEATURES:

-=Lay Of The Lands!=-

- Nostalgic dungeon crawls!

Fly through dungeons you never have stepped foot in. complete with redesigns, new tricks, colorful backgrounds. new dangers await you in the lands of Arkasus.

- Old and new monsters!

From the classic enemies, to new and improved designed mobs awaiting you around every corner.

- New and improved inventory!

With 100s of different items, potions, weapons, crafted items, spells, etc. we have an amazing inventory screen for all you to use!

- VAST VAST environment! go where you please!

Huge overworld, with new content, quests, and dungeons being added. you will never be without something to do!

- Harvest and Crafting time! make your own stuff!

Enemies are not just cannon fodder for bombs, rupees, and arrows anymore! well…some still drop them, but! they also drop goodies for you that you need for crafting! as well as picking plants in the wild! and growing your own! all these mechanics to build and create potions, weapons, craft arrows, make bombs and powerful weapons, spells, posions, etc. which leads to our next one…
[B]

• Merchants of the world! we salute you![/B]

Thats right, with all that loot, weapons you find, items, materials etc. spend a little cash, and you could be running your own shop and selling goods to earn rupees for all sorts of things…or…
[B]

• The Banks of Arkasus!
    [/B]
    Thats right, holding too much rupees? afraid of loosing it all and being robbed by monsters or other thieves? store it in your very own bank! thats right! major cities and villages with steam powered ATM’s (with of course orcarina bird delivery services) you can store your money in your bank! how awsome is that? speaking of villages!

- Player Housing, towns, cities, kingdoms, and clans

players who can afford the land plots to buy it, can build there very own house and have it put on the plot of land (certain rules will apply to this obviously with custom scripts etc.) players will be able to build and manage they own plots of lands and towns etc. want to own a tavern for a roleplay or hang out spot? you can! want to create your own dungeon but have your own room in it? you can do so! which leads to our next thing on characters!

- Vast character customization!

there is nearly limitless character customization! look like your own! with over hundreds of different head variations, bodies, custom swords, shields, and colors of your character, you can look like anyone and anything you like! though try to keep true to the world. it is a roleplaying game after all! but the customization is limitless! and cant find something that says “you?”, then make your own! submit it to us and if approved (obviously with certain submissions, this is the internet) will be uploaded to the game for you to use and look the way you want!

- User submitted content! we always wanted a guild base the way we want it to look!

well no sweat! you can have it here! like player housing etc, we offer guilds and clans their very own guild base at a cost of course and within certain requirements of course! have it set to only let your guild members in complete with your own devices and mechanisms. the possibilites are endless. not enough?
[B]

• Entirely New Area Submissions![/B]

yes, this is totally possible. with your own group of people, your own land design, graphics, sounds, music, etc, flags. you could build your own nation or kingdom complete with your own quests there. certain requirements will have to meet with game mechanics for some of this. but this is entirely possible as well. which brings us to the ultimate in roleplay and game design…

- Evolve and change the world around you!

With the right amount of knowledge, and the use of the editors, simple graphics programs, and the easy to use coding system, you too, could be creating your very own content and submitting it to the server for uploading into our world!

thats right! your own character designs, your own enemies, weapons, new items you want in. we want all suggestions and submissions! you the player will help grow the community, and make it better for you and everyone! after all, its your playing experience!

-= Society Stuff and Things! =-

- Alignment system! are you good to others, or bad to others?

With the alignment system its now easy to spot the PKers (player killers!) with the pvp system in place, its easy to avoid being killed all the time. how you ask? easy! those who kill others all the time, and feed on the greed, there name will go black over time, and after a certain alignment passes as you pass down from white to dark. You are soon or later are no longer able to heal! well, with one exception, by passing into the Susakra realm, and buying an extremely expensive potion to wash away your ill soul back to white again…expensive though.

and for those who dont kill people! as your name gets lighter over time, you reach a gold name (shown below you and shows on the bar near your items!) you will be unable to be hit with a gold name by other players with there sword.

this does not apply to ladder battles aka arena points. which is next on our list!

- Gladiators to the arena!

Thats right, show off your battle spirit by besting your fellow players in the arena! and earn arena points. be top of the ladder, compete in server wide tournaments! win one of a kind offical Arkasus items and vanity items to be placed in your custom home, or you can pick from other items to carry on you as you go!

- pets! yes!

For all you pet lovers out there, we will also be featuring vanity pets that will follow you around where you go. this could include teddy bears etc, rabbits, baby monsters, etc.

MORE FEATURES TO BE LISTED SOON! STAY TUNED!

if you would like to take part in this project doing, pixel art, animation, sound work, GUI design, scripting, level design, rp administration, story building, etc. please email me at [email protected]

Looks freakin’ awesome!

thanks. there is 2 tilesets working right now. but ill be adding additional ones as i go. this will include a solid dungeon builder set with different maps in them, as well as snow, desert, jungle, savannah, and another third overworld one, which is being left in secret due to its near end game stuff. thanks for the support though :)[COLOR=“Silver”]

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Please welcome Famine to our glorious team. He is a musical genius in my opinion! :slight_smile: he will be helping and developing sound, music, atmosphere in the world of Arkasus. check out this track of his. i got shivers!

http://soundcloud.com/famine/famine-fieri-tinea

wat
I think I just soiled myself. Good lord, have fun! I can’t wait to try it!

looks pretty cool :slight_smile:
What language is the engine being written in?

GS1 I would think O___o; didn’t you see the screenshots (mostly the 3rd and 4th one… haha)

I am using the graal editor and outside graphic’s programs to make all the stuff above. There is a built in scripting language inside the editor. I think if i recall seeing it, there is a manual as to how the scripts work. Also there is some tutorials in the tutorial and FAQ section as well. I wont be doing any recoding or anything, just using what i know, and learn. :slight_smile:

Oh because I read through the stuff you wrote is a bit of a stretch for gs1. Of course it’s all possible but if you’re a script noob you’re going to need someone who knows what their doing, gs1 is easy but not all of it’s secrets are revealed at once.

The Chronicles of Arkansas.

well i am always open for suggestions. some of this stuff will not be implemented till much later. I figure this project will never be done, as it will be constantly being added to kind of thing. from staff, and players a like. certainly if some of these features cannot be implemented due to the engines power capabilities then i will have to bite the bullet and find other ways around it kind of thing.

I do appreciate the input though. if there is anything you see that is downright impossible to achieve with the current system at hand, please let me know so i can remove it. I just took the ideas i had in my head for a decent gameplay and somewhat economic system for players to take part in trading, saving money, etc and implement it into the nostalgic dungeon crawl type of thing. Really, its all about keeping everyone happy and entertained in the end. anything extra will just be the icing on the cake :slight_smile:

Gs1 has a lack of file I/O I requested a triggerhack be made to get around this weakness but it was never done :frowning: Other then that, you can get around most of your serverside problems using triggerhacks to counter the lack of a npc server.

Keep in mind though that in the case of GS1, programming experience and understanding the logic of it all is a key component. Tricxta is one of the few people that get scripting pretty easily and even then it took him a while to get the hang of it. While most of the things you’ve listed here are not impossible, some are damn near impossible to do efficiently or at all (Saying it’s going to be really hard). The best of luck to you though. :smiley:

Nalin, Cadavre, Pac300, Beholder, Downsider, Mustang, Twiggy, Agret and the list goes on.

Lol, it’s easy enough to understand.

wtf, you forgot yourself Spooon. :expressionless:

can we get this back onto a discussion of the actual server? lol I am interested in knowing more about the Dark World Susakra realm

I am still working out the details of the storyline, at least for the first launch of the server. As of course, with an online RPG, the story evolves and changes. The Susakra Realm (AKA Dark World) was actually once a lush, rich, and florishing land of flora and fauna. The ancients of Arkasus spoke of this place long ago as “The place where gods rest”. It is said from the ancient teachings, that thousands of years ago, the land was given to the Arkasus people as a place where they could advance their powers of the arcane (magic wooooo!) and use it for good to grow and enrich the good of lives for all. Three forms of this arcane magic were shared with the people. One was the power of will, giving the people the power to create things into reality. The second, the power of life, breathing life into the things that were willed there. The Third, the power of soul, Giving the things of life and will, the power of existence as a whole. Sadly, some creatures of Arkasus are drunk for power. Seeking to take and keep it for themselves, And use it for the will of evil. Little is known fully as to why the plain of Susakra is such a dark place. But for those on the Arkasus plain know its impossible to get to at this point, As creatures serving an evil force, protect the last known portal to the dark lands. Built up around it, a giant fortress, guarded by unspeakable evil.

hope this cleared up any questions. out of character knowledge though, this area will be another overworld in time, with more dungeons, fortresses, strongholds, caverns, cave dungeons, bosses, new enemies etc. the entire game is a very big, constant work in progress. i want to be able to add content as me and the team i put together work on it. these installments will also have promo videos, (i have the people who can do these things and help me work on it) screenshots of the new areas, etc. for example, the first area is merely just the first round of dungeons and town problems.

for example, and i dont mind giving this away at all since it will be the first area. you will come on your first town, who are getting extremely sick from the fountain of auras. Usually, the waters here help with potion making in the town, as most people in this village are alchemists, mixing and creating, and exporting potions to the kingdoms all over the world of Arkasus. You will have to investigate what is spiking the water supply that is making the people so sick and throwing the potions off. you soon find out that an old fortress long forgotten from time, has strangely been extremely active as of late and is near by. (you find out more whats going on as you go through dungeons and quests etc). Basically, you are sent out to find the problem and fix it. which is basically a quest to defeat the evil inside this fortress that is posioning the watersource.

then of course, you move on etc etc. and that i basically how this will all work. adding new content, new villains, new stories to play off of. I want this server also to be roleplay friendly, letting people play out there characters and have their own content uploaded etc. complete with stories, new enemies.

just like real life, every town, city, etc, has their own problems and issues. it will be somewhat the same idea. so far from what i have created, there is already 2 towns, 3 side quests, and 1 dungeon quest. all quests have rewards, some small, some temporary, and some which help with advancement. like you wont be able to progress into other areas without completing the tasks in the area you are in. these obstacles could be a far jump you need a hookshot for, another example, there is stones blocking a cave or a path to another area you have not seen yet. so on and so forth.

I also decided to have a warp ring type thing deal for the world. Each close by area has a shrine representing the gods of Arkasus, each will offer a warp ring for the location you get them, so you can revisit them or roleplay purposes or need a certain item or consumable from that place. Like i said before with the alchemy town, once you complete the fortress there, you will then have access to buying potions for healing, gaining mana, etc etc.

its all in the works. id show you guys the Game information sheet…but it would give way too much away. so any questions about the overall features etc. will be listed in a simple format to answer any questions correctly.

EDIT: and to answer questions about the tilesets, i will make them available as the content comes out. that means all tilesets. As with other players and developers adding content to the world for their own quests, stories, guilds, houses etc. they will need these obviously haha. obviously all content will be inspected and approved before being put into the world, and will have to be within the realms standards of timeline, era, and story if applicable.

Updated first thread with new screenshots of first temple.

So… glove in first dungeon?

I have not decided yet if that is going to be the first item in the first temple. I like using stones as a way of blocking certain paths to later areas. this is also with dark stones, hook shot support, warp fields, etc. I am also trying to find a script that does not allow you to swim till a certain item is given as well.

so it is quite possible that the first level glove will be received in the first temple. It will depend on my expansion of the overworld. or at least the first continent. I am doing the first dungeon tiles when the first bridge is constructed to the new area.

Also, please welcome to the team “Skeeter”. another sound engineer, and video artist. he will also be doing video promo, and teaser videos for youtube, veemo, reddit etc. when they are put together. these are also a work in progress as well. Videos will be constructed a little bit before beta release.

[php]
// NPC made by *Tricxta
if (playerenters || timeout){
checkWater();
setplayerprop #c,#v(this.check);
if (this.check == 0)setstring this.savePos,#L,#v(playerx),#v(playery);
else {
tokenize #s(this.savePos);
setlevel2 #t(0),strtofloat(#t(1)),strtofloat(#t(2));
}
timeout=0.05;
}

function checkWater(){
this.check = 0;
for (this.i=0;this.i<4;this.i++)this.check+=(onwater(playerx+.5+(this.i%2),playery+1+int(this.i/2)));
}
[/php]

Here’s a base for you, it’d be a good idea to tweak it though, doesn’t look too pretty.