Xoria 2009 Movement System

EDIT: Before I forget, just want to say thanks to Beholder, for helping me with this, especially his boundless knowledge of obscure facts about Graal, like the center of a player’s hitbox and it’s width and height. Thanks, Beholder!

Incompatable with the 2.1.7 client due to how projectiles are handled…

Just sharing. It was unique in the way that if you held F you ripped the shield off your back and could guard.

It DOESN’T support:
-Cliffs
-Beds
-Compus baddies
-Horses
-Bush hiding

I’ll fix this stuff eventually. Supports everything else.

The shield, which is what makes this movement system very unique, was inspired by the Gameboy Zelda games, specifically A Link To the Past. When used, your movement speed is a fourth of what it was, and you strafe in the direction you face. It is hotkey’d to F but it’s script is actually in another weapon.
-Swords (As long as the gani of the character is “ds_sword”, rather than “sword”.)
-Arrows (Although not the regular arrows, requires a new arrow NPC that I wrote)
-Bombs (Although not the regular bombs, requires a new bomb NPC that I wrote)
-Magic (It’s in the video, just watch z_z)

It’s actually kinda cool and I’m pretty damn proud of it. My first time hitting the scripting cap <3

Watch this video…

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV8P1keOlu0)

…Then get it here…

http://ifile.it/tcgz42a

Check out the two levels, make sure before you go to magic.nw you go to movement.nw, or else you won’t have any shield or movement system or anything hot like that, man!

Say thanks if you’re going to use it, or dig through the code :smiley:

Dude, thats awesome…great work.

sweet. A link to the past? First time I saw the guarding with the shield was in ocarina of time. Although I’ve never played the gameboy games as I’ve always seen them as pointless spinoffs. Maybe I should have a look at them?

How come the little dude shooting fireballs isn’t in the levels?

Also, the shield thing is not from A Link to the Past :slight_smile: The guarding was first added in Link’s Awakening, on the GB… because it only had two buttons, they had ALL items able to be assigned to a weapon(like the C-buttons on Ocarina of Time), including the sword and shield. This allowed you to actually USE the shield, rather than just carry it.

Link to the Past(which Graal is cloned from), had… well, shields exactly like Graal uses.

Some of the Zelda game boy games are awesome.
I am a big fan of Zelda but I enjoy the old top down 2d stuff.
I love the Link to the past, almost all the old gameboy games…
I am not much of a fan of any of the 3d stuff, like Windwaker, Twilight Princess,
Ocarina of time…and I really dont like the DS games.
Minish Cap was awesome.

I didn’t actually look at that part of the script, but I imagine if you’re using projectiles it’s pretty easy. Probably just checking when the projectile is hitting the player, and check from which direction(which you’d need to pass in the projectile params). As for reflecting, simply fire a projectile back?

As for default arrows… ya it’s a bitch because default detection takes priority always.

That’s deadly bro. Good work

I think you mean Link’s Awakening. But the same shield setup was used in Link’s Awakening DX (duh), Oracle of Seasons/Ages (I’m pretty sure these are based on LA’s engine, with crystal-cart color support added, so…), and Minish Cap. Oh, and Four Swords… that might be what you’re thinking of, it’s packed on the same cart as the GBA port of Link to the Past…

I don’t use Graal’s built-in projectiles, 'cuz they can’t go over walls and other stuff.

And, hurr, I meant the Four Swords Adventures that was packed with ALTTP on the GBA xD, sorry for the confusion.

EDIT: For default arrows, I had them run like default until getting within like 5 tiles of the player, then I removed it and replaced it with a custom arrow stored that moved through script. Kept compatability quite nicely.

… Four Swords Adventures for the Gamecube. The one packed with ALTTP+FS was just “Four Swords”.

What’s next, talking about Gannon? :stuck_out_tongue:

Leave me alone :’(

Anyways, Shiny, few reasons why you can’t do that:

1. Can’t remove projectiles unless they detect collision (Paradox if a bit of lag)
  2. Wouldn’t work in nopk.

What I do is store an array of projectiles in a script. When you fire a projectile, a “shoot” goes out at -10, -10 with a lifetime of .05. It’s params state X, Y, angle, randomid. When you get hit, the client sends another at -10, -10 with params saying to remove fireball with (randomid). Reflecting removes and creates another. The best way to assign id numbers was to just do an integer from 1 to 1000.

I’m being mean because I care! I think.

Anyway, I’ve wanted Z4-style shields in Graal /so/ many times. Much, much easier to use for a lot of tasks.

Also, if you used a client before 2.2.2, that won’t work with this :frowning:

It could work in nopk, just use the flag “noplayerkilling” when detecting yourself get hurt. But yes, the rest of it remains. lol

Must be pretty old, your scripting was similar to mine back then, ie: not giving a damn where you stick your timeouts. lol

WOW

Pretty cool, but does it crash the client after a while? I know my game hates lights.

BUG: Can not fire point blank while facing up or the right. Down and left work. Try it on the rocks.

You mean point blank as in directly into a wall? I’m aware of that and haven’t bothered to fix it because I figure it’s dumb enough to fire into a wall xD

Yes into a wall.

This wall? Cause this wall is a total bitch.