Booty Madness

Hi guys, figured I’d post about this little project I’m working on with a friend and see what you guys think.

Online Multiplayer Arena fighter - Booty Madness

The premise of this game is to fight and collect money. Everyone trying to get more gold than everyone else. One hit deaths, etc… Along the lines of games like Tower Fall.

Abilities are basic, attack and evade, possibly a 3rd unique ability depending on character type. Extremely easy to pick up, with a high skill curve in certain parts of the game.

The artist will be creating a few different biomes, island/jungle/mountain/ice etc – There will be boss fights and mobs, where you fight for more gold and gems, and rare drops. You will be able to pick up items that have their own special features like shooting projectiles, gold magnets, better swords, movement boosts, shields, etc…

Your progress is based entirely on the amount of “booty” you collect. (More on this later)

Still working out a lot of details, but would definitely like to see if this sounds like a fun game to play.

Here are the pictures of some sprites (zoomed in 2x)

Development is in early stages yet, but we’ll be targeting Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android and Browsers.

Here’s an animation of a parallax prototype I’ve been playing with.

All of the art is by FlyGuy.

If there’s interest I can keep this thread updated. Anyway, thoughts?

Is this made in the GAP Engine? Looking sweet! Apply for steam early access! :slight_smile:

Nah, the GAP engine is designed to use a tile-based level system. Due to the nature of these hand-pixeled levels, I had to create a different approach. I’ve settled on a “Collision Polygon” system.

Basically I made a level editor that allows me to create polygons which basically act as “solid areas”. Here’s an example:

It then just spits it out to an xml file containing the position of each vertex in a polygon.

This way I can make collisions match the terrain no matter how oddly-shaped it is.

I’ve slowly started to lose interest in my toolkit, I may get a “second wind” and continue work on it, if not i’ll more than likely release the source. I’m just a little tired making engines, rather than games.

this is fucking cool. Can’t wait to play it.

Well, this system could be used in the GAP engine as well as tilebased! Make it optional! I think the GAP engine should allow by-passing the level loading by letting the developer script the loading of a level. That way they can choose whichever level type they want, or if it should be completely rendered by script. This is something I have planned for the OpenGraal Client. The Graal level loader will be an accessable class from within a script. anything that needs to be drawn will be called on the onDraw event.

That’s a neat idea, I’ll be sure to implement it at some stage. However I’d let C++ handle the rendering, and simply allow people to override the level-loading.
I’m contemplating using AngelScript rather than GameMonkey, as that’d give performance a little boost. It’d depend on whether potential scripters would rather a static-typed or loosely-typed language.

I’ll probably pick up development on my engine after this project, who knows.

Damn man, So this is what you were up too :slight_smile:

Great stuff, I like the simple concept and beautiful art.
Is this what they teach you at uni?

No, I’m a self taught programmer.

Uni, thus-far has taught me nothing :frowning:

The art looks great. I’m uncertain though that the use Star Wars themed sprites is legal (that stuff’s copyrighted… and they look close to the original characters). One shot kill sounds overkill and it seems that without separating players per experience, especially on such small levels… it’ll be quick to have users who just pick on noobs all the time and collect their loot.

As I’m easily impressed, polygonal collision detection impresses me.

EDIT:
On a game idea I previously had, the top 33% of each week would level up to play against more experienced players. Just throwing the idea :slight_smile:

The Star Wars characters were merely a demonstration by the artist of how diverse he can make characters, even with their low resolution. I probably should have mentioned that.

In regards to picking on newbie players, we also thought about this, and decided on a form of kill-streak system. The ‘health’ system in the game is “Booty”. When you die, you drop some of your booty, and then re-spawn. We were toying with the idea that the more kills you’ve achieved with out dying, the more booty you drop when you do die. We’d probably represent dangerous players with an icon above their head when they’re on a kill streak. This would encourage people to gang up on them, causing it to effectively balance out game play again.

I appreciate everyone’s input. Your ideas are very helpful, don’t be shy in raising any concerns/ideas you have!

Holy shit I saw this on PJ and was like this is cool and you’re the guy behind it!

in other words a Bounty System for if a kill streak gets too high without the player dying.
also is there an official site? Is this supposed to be hush-hush, or can I go promote this a bit? Looks like something my friends would enjoy.

Tell Whoever.

One of the guys, I have made no contribution to the art, but I’m writing the code.

Here’s an in-game teaser. :slight_smile:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3769[/ATTACH]

Edit: It’s probably best to view the image in a new tab to see actual quality, unless you have a huge ass screen.

Looks sweeeeeeeet

It’s only 1259x622…

Not everyone views forums on a mobile device.

When do we get to see a playable beta?

As soon as one is ready. I’m aiming for a few weeks away.

Did some work on my RC today, decided to make it use the same docking system as my level editor. This way, I can essentially embed my level editor into the RC.

Thoughts?