I did decide to forego the UI for now, as mentioned in my last post. This shouldn’t be a surprise, given the other thread I made to gather information about level details. I’ve been working out how to efficiently combine the concepts of multiple tilesets and multiple layers when it comes to rendering the tiles themselves. It currently doesn’t fit into the way the renderer is designed. Once I’ve gotten the details ironed out and implemented, I’ll post a screenshot or gif of it.
The level format, at least for storing tile data and all of the layers, has been planned out. It’s not going to be particularly simple for someone to extract useful information from, but I’m not exactly concerned with the ease of making third-party tools. The tile data will still ultimately be stored using ASCII characters so that levels can be edited as plain text without breaking tile data.