Event of the Month (November)

What: A monthly development contest to see who can come up with the best event. (An event basically being a minigame.) Events don’t have to be multiplayer, but do need some sort of competitive aspect. (High score, or best time table of some sort)
How: We’ll be setting up a new server with a central hub that will link up to a lobby for each competitor to base their event from. Your personal lobby will be in your own private folder that you can put your event in. (Lobbies can be modified to individual taste, just make sure they link back to the OSL.)
Limitations: No spar based competitions (You can have one in or linked to your lobby, but it can’t be the submission)
Voting: Polls open Friday Nov. 29th

Theme: Underground

Sweet initiative! :slight_smile:

I was thinking we should make this community effort the official Graal Reborn server. A community driven main server were we all put the effort in somehow. I was thinking of converting PWA into that main Graal Reborn server as it already sort of is like that. But then I figured I’d just do a clean install and start over from scratch. What do you say?

Will the event competitions be themed or something?

This is an awesome idea. We have a mix of creativity versus experience. Should make for an interesting competition. Count me in! But as hosler said, is there a theme? Also does vb bulletin have a trophy plugin? That’d be pretty cool too.

I was concerned that themes might become a deterrent for some people, but I have nothing against having them if there’s interest. We could always alternate between having themes and not having themes as well?

I think this would be a decent stand in for the main server until we get a resource pack together to build an actual classic server. We really need a good set of weapons and dungeon scripts to get Graal Reborn up and running. PWA’s kind of useful for testing stuff online and dumping off the kiddies to play staff for awhile, so we’d probably be best with three different servers.

Why 3? I think Graal Reborn and PWA is enough. :slight_smile:

So for this round, there’s no set theme and we can start work whenever?

Actually I guess it doesn’t really need to be separate, we could have a door out into the main server in the osl along with links to all of the competitor’s lobbies. It would showcase the community and generate interest in player houses and such. Add a server to the classic tab for me and I’ll set up the OSL and contest stuff.

Graal Reborn is set up as gold and you’ve got manager rights.

I think themes would be nice. That way people can get the “idea” process out of the way. The theme could be loose enough so everyone isn’t making the same thing, and also tight (aww yeah) enough so people don’t drop out because they can’t think of anything to make.

I agree with this and can find it quite relatable. Besides, a degree of unity is nice.

I disagree, but we’ll run with a theme if you think that’s going to make things easier. I guess we’ll go with underground this month.

___Merged doublepost__________________

Server is set up, let me know if you’re participating and I’ll add you in.

Some should post a template. Like with that sweet join thing on bomber

I don’t feel like coding. Tricxta is going to win without any competition. Have fun losing, fags.

I think the creative aspect of this comp is more heavily weighted than the implementation.

uh not with me voting

my event involves lowering codr into a pit of lava

tricxta what is the best way for an npc to interact with only 1 player, but all the other players can see what it’s doing too. using players[index] doesnt seem to do what i need it to do :frowning: i can have it read from a server string with the person’s account name, but i thought there would be a better way or something.

You can use npc attributes.

if (playerenters){
  timereverywhere;
  timeout = 0.05;
}

if (playerchats){
  setcharprop #P1,#a;
  timeout = 0.05;
}

if (timeout){
  showtext 300,100,100,arial,l,#P1(-1);//#P1(-1) means it's not reading the player attribute but rather npc attribute
  changeimgvis 300,4;
  timeout = 0.05;
}

You’ll see that the attribute acts as a global variable which is essentially the same as a server string but only for that npc. I think it’s a much better alternative.
One thing you lose when using attributes versus server strings is npcs can’t share attributes between themselves directly. So it all depends on the exact application.
You could also use save vars as a binary semaphore(lock/unlock) but then you’ve get less information to play with.